Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Crackers (more added) (more added again) (and again)

Good Evening, my Darling :

I'm just getting home from Pearl's, it was a bit of a long day driving back and forth to her Golden Agers meeting, and having to wait around a while because they were having a potluck. Now I am home, though, and I can relax, and be with my Angel. I will go for my walk later on.

Your post about unknowingly telling a Mormon joke to a Mormon reminds me of something that happened to me in the local supermarket about ten years ago. This is definitely not PC, but it just happened - total coincidence. I was in the store with my Mom, and we were in the cracker section. When I was a kid, they used to make a product called Cheese Nips. There are two major commercial bakeries, Sunshine and Nabisco, that are like Pepsi and Coke. One made Cheese-Its and the other made Cheese Nips. Now, everybody knows that's a derogatory term for Japanese people, left over from World War Two. During the war, newspapers would regularly use the word "Jap" in their headlines, but of course it was a terrible time and there was a lot of anger and predjudice, and America and Japan were enemies. But you know kids; kids think funny sounding words and caricatures are a riot. I still have one of the very first photos I ever took, of my little seven year old Jewish friend dressed up as Hitler. We were copying a fake advertisement we'd seen in Mad magazine about an anti-smoking campaign. A guy who looks like Hitler is warning against cigarettes, because "they kill even more people than I did". Well, that was Mad magazine for ya, and little kids and teenagers thought it was a riot. So my little friend Joe, who liked to antagonise his Mom, thought it would be funny if he dressed up as Hitler, and he wanted me to take a picture of it. So, we combed his hair sideways, and I drew a little square moustache on him with a marker. And we made him a sign with notebook paper that said, "Hi, I'm Adolph Hitler". I took his picture in the same pose as the picture in Mad. This is two seven year olds who thought of this.

Well, we got the roll of film back, developed, and we thought the picture was a riot, and of course Joe wanted to show it to his Mom. She was a nice Jewish lady who had sent Joe to Hebrew school and the whole bit. So of course she had a fit. But seven year olds think that kind of thing is funny.

Anyway, when I was a kid, they also made Cheese Nips, and of course we thought those were a riot, too. So my Mom and I were in the store about ten years ago, and we were in the cracker aisle, and we passed the boxes of Cheese-Its, and there were Cheese Nips right next to them. And I picked up a box and said, "I can't believe they still make these".

And I put the box down, and turned to keep going down the aisle, and lo and behold...........

There was an Asian lady standing right behind me.

She might have been Japanese, or maybe Korean.

But instead of going about her shopping, she spoke to me.

"Still make what"?............

I did a double take, and then realized she had been watching me pick up the box. She had a look on her face like she was determined to make me say the name.

Instead, I just said, "Um........those crackers". But she persisted.

"Which crackers do you mean"? Now she was trying to hold back a smile, but she still wanted me to say the name. But I wasn't gonna do it. I was turning red from embarrassment by now.

It was one of those moments where a second feels like a minute. But instead of saying the name, I just pointed to the Cheese Nips. "Uh........those ones right there". I thought that would end the matter.

But it didn't.

Now the lady could not hold back her smile, but it was a little sly, like "now I've really  gotcha".

"Why can't you believe they are still making them"?, she asked me. She saw I was blushing, and kind of wanted me to know she was in on the joke, but she still wanted me to say the name - Cheese Nips - and I just wasn't gonna do it. So, thinking quickly, I said - "Well, you know Cheese-Its are by far the more popular brand. I thought the other crackers would have stopped selling by now".

And with that, I nodded at her, like, "Have a nice day", and Mom and I went to the checkout and got the heck out of there. I don't know if they still make Cheese Nips, but I don't think I'll go checking for them anytime soon!

I will be back later to write more, but the Mormon joke post reminded me of that, so I had to tell you. I hope your day has been a good one. I will be back in a while, after my walk. I Love You, Funny Lady! :):)

9:15pm. I just got back from my walk. I won't cut my hair, I promise! (I still might color it though). ;)

9:55pm : Women do indeed get shit done; you'll get no argument from me on that one!

10:10 : I do have the right take on the Senator Davis photo.............(I hope?)  :)

11pm : Still hoping I got the photo right.........only because she (Senator Davis) has her arms crossed in the pic........and I hope I'm not still in the dog house. :)

Seriously, though, I want you to know that I will always do my best to look my best for you. I was wondering today, in fact, "short hair or long hair"? Which looks better, you know? I mean, a guy can have his own opinion about the way he looks with certain hair styles, but I would want to know what you think. My hair has changed in that it is a lot curlier than it was in my 20s. I don't know where I got it from, both my Mom and Dad had very straight hair, as do my brother and sisters. So now, my hair - when it gets long, tends to curl up rather than hang. Still, if I were to just let it grow...........

But you can tell me how you like it, and such it will be. I've had it super long, super short, medium......when a guy is by himself, he of course wants to look good, but he has no feedback.

In other ways, I will always take care of myself because that is my nature. In my 20s, my weight fluctuated, but now - because of the No Fun Diet and my excercise and such, I have maintained a steady weight for almost 15 years. I am doing my dumbell excercises again (because I am a dumbell!) and also because it is important to maintain muscle, maintain agility, bone strength, joint health, etc.

So, that's me. You can count on me to always be as fit as I can be. But as far as the hair goes, you tell me. :):)

I am gonna read my book for a little while and then go to sleep. I love to think about our life together, Elizabeth. I hope you do too.

I Love You!  (Sweet Dreams).   :):)

11:30pm : I am checking back in because I just now - this minute - saw your post of the hand on paper : "I hated God for a long time". Is everything okay? I ask only to be sure I understand. If you are still awake and see this, and want to post again, I will be awake until midnight my time. I am really, really hoping everything is okay. I am right here, as always, and I am grateful for you, and I Love You.

You are the Love Of My Life, Elizabeth, and you can always count on me, in every way, at any time. Life is about taking care of each other. I will always take care of you, love you and cherish you. There could never be anything more important, nor that I could more desire to do.

It's what's in my heart.      Love, Adam  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment