Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thursday Morning Love (Congratulations On Good Work!) (Eternal)

Good Morning, my Darling,

I'm on a break while Pearl is at the hair salon, so I wanted to say hi. I hope your last few classes are going well. You are probably pretty excited to be done! Sorry I missed last night, but it was just an ordinary day. Tonight is the final movie for this semester's Cinematheque series. We will see Ray's "The Stranger", yet another one I haven't seen. He was mostly new to me as a director. Now I have seen 14 of his films and I think he's one of the greats, certainly. It is such a blessing to have this campus theater so close by, and that it is open to the public.

I will be here for about an hour, then back to pick up Pearl at 1pm.

Enjoy your early afternoon and have a blast as school finishes up! I Love You.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

2:40pm : I just wanted to add huge congratulations on your documentary being selected for the Arts Showcase. You have a natural talent for film, both still and motion picture, and now that talent is being noticed and acknowledged. Now, when it says that "two 30 minute films" will be screened, does that mean a complilation of many shorter works, shown in 30 minute increments, or does that mean that only two works were chosen, and each is 30 minutes long? If it's the latter, that's especially impressive, but either way it's quite an honor, with there being so many film students nowdays. Good work, Elizabeth! I'd like to see your documentary, so I hope you can post it eventually. Now, continue having a great day. The hairdresser took extra long with Pearl, so I am just now getting back, but I'll be around until 6:30 on one computer or the other.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:20pm : Well, that's it for the Satyajit Ray series, one of the best we've seen I think. His films aren't grand motion pictures in the sense of sweeping epics, but they are so humanistic that you come away from a Ray retrospective thinking him to be one of the great directors in the history of cinema. There is no one like him, and several of his films - "Pather Panchali", "The Music Room", "The World Of Apu" - are masterpieces, and so many others are excellent as well. I'd put tonight's film, "The Stranger" right up there, too.

Again, congrats on your documentary. That is fantastic, Elizabeth. And you are right about the weird feeling that you were "just a freshman" about five minutes ago. Where did the time go? Wow......

But you know, I have had the good fortune to be watching on the sidelines, and I have seen your progress through the last two and a half years of your college career, and it has been a steady progression towards bringing out the Artist inside of you.

I like the Taya Iv post about "cringing" at early work yet recognising the burgeoning genius, though I must say, you have nothing to cringe at. She talks about writing in her post, and maybe you meant photography, or just art in general (unless you are doing some writing), but anyway, every artist starts somewhere.

All art is about feeling. The nuance of emotion, and the outward projection of the complexities of those nuances, are what art is all about.

In 2006, I undertook to write a book about an experience in my life. "Write a book". Wait a minute! I am not an author, I basically failed or did poorly in every English class I ever had because I can't tell you an adverb from a dangling participle. So...."write a book"?

Well, I did it because I had to. And, I had the advantage of a lifetime of reading as my teacher. Much better than any English class, haha. Now, my first effort - the first draft - was all over the place. I wound up with 800 pages of material. In my second draft I pared it down to 600 pages, and I got better at sentence construction. Eventually (when I am not working seven days a week) I will finish it, and make it as word-perfect as I can.

The point is that, It Happens. Art evolves, so long as you Live It. Your art becomes part of your everyday thought, and I don't just mean, "oh, what poem shall I write today"?, or "where shall I go to take a picture"? What I mean - and I am sure I've said this before in different ways - is that It Becomes Your Whole Life.

Not just Your Life, but It Becomes Your Whole Person, and Your Person is bigger than Your Life, because You Are Eternal.

Now, you don't go around all day thinking about Your Eternalness, because that would wipe you out (and get a little pretentious, too, lol), but it is nevertheless a fact, and so what happens as you develop as an artist is that you start to simply accept and know your Eternal Nature, and you realize you have something to say.

It doesn't even matter if you know exactly what it is, just that you Know and Accept it.

Then you develop that quiet confidence that I have mentioned before.

In closing, for tonight, I urge you again to consider Yourself, and Your Art as what is to be concentrated upon. Because you see the world in this way, you have something to project, to relay. It could be anything at any given moment. It exists at all times in your thoughts, so pay attention to them, especially the quick ones that flicker by, all the time, every day.

I Love You, and it has been an amazing two years.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo  :):)

Sweet Dreams.......

No comments:

Post a Comment