Saturday, May 31, 2014

Baskets (sweet dreams)

Good Evening, my Baby,

I am back home. It was a busy day, and this time my sister did come over, so we went shopping. This morning, Pearl, Kobi and I went over to Louise Park, a smaller park near her home, and this time we brought our new basketball. :) I told you we bought a basketball, right? We had been at this park a couple weeks ago, and Pearl saw some boys shooting baskets. She used to play in high school, way back in the late 30s- early 40s, but she really got a kick out of watching those kids play. So when we left that day, she said that we should get a basketball, so we did.

I did all the shooting today, of course. I am a little wary of giving the ball to Pearl to shoot, because on the one hand, she wouldn't be able to push it up very far. But more importantly, she has osteoporosis, and I would not want her to spontaneously break anything, trying an unfamiliar body motion.

But, it's still fun for me to shoot. Pearl can watch, and Kobi can stand around and wonder what the heck is going on and why we aren't walking around. When I was a kid, my friends and I shot tons of hoops. We were always playing one sport or another, and basketball was a favorite. I could shoot pretty good back then, but until this morning I had not shot a basketball in maybe ten years, so there were a lot of airballs, haha. But - fun stuff; Pearl, Kobi and me, and our new basketball. :)

I saw your posts this morn. I loved the quote about photography, and the idea that it's a means to stop time. The whole idea of the passage of time is something that fascinates me, and really in a good way. The workings of time include things like photographs and memories, because those can bring not just images (pictorial or mental) back into the present, but something close to the total experience. Like, say you were looking at photos from last year's trip to The Sideways Trees. Suddenly, you might picture (or better yet, place) yourself riding in the car, on the way there. You might remember a song or cd you were listening to. And suddenly the past is in the present. You can feel it and relive it. So that's my favorite thing about photos.

The passage of time is a trip. In the last ten years, I lost my parents, but - and I say this with no sorrowful feelings - it's really like they aren't gone. There was a grieving period, of course, when each passed away, but since then, it's really like they are still here because I can feel their presence all the time. Not in the metaphorical sense, either, but literally.

So it's a trip, and very interesting, because once we find each other in this world, and once a bond is formed, whether through family or love or close friendship (a form of love), we lose the sense of beginning and end. We live in the now, but we can look at photos and go back, or we can look at places we haven't been and go forward, but it's really all One Big Now. And what proves it, to me anyway, is the feelings of Deja Vu that places and photos can give you, and the very interesting experience I have had that when a loved one passes away, you don't feel a loss of presence.

Something that is interesting to consider, is where did yesterday go? And if a photograph has captured it, is it possible that it still exists? I think that in some sense, the answer is yes. Just the fact that we experience Deja Vu, and we have emotion-based memory (as opposed to strictly practical memory like knowing where our house is), is indicative of the non-linear nature of time.

Well, now I went off on a huge tangent, lol. But that's the kind of feeling I get when I am in a place like Corriganville or Placerita, or even a very familiar place with buildings, like Reseda where I lived as a small child, that there is something really humongous at work, in memory, emotion, and the reason we are limited, right now, to physically experiencing time in a linear manner.

On the surface, it's day-by-day and year-by-year for us humans. It seems directional and limited. But below the surface, where our emotions, memories and sixth sense are at work, we see a bigger picture.

I will end the tangent with that thought, but the quote on photography got me started! :)

I hope your day was good, and maybe you took some pictures or did something equally fun. I am gonna relax for a few, then go for my walk in an hour. Then back later as usual.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:50: It's late, so I will wish you sweet dreams. Hope you had a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment