Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Neil (plus love and thoughts)

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Today I was able to see two of your posts, the first one was in the morning and was an appreciation by the poster of all the people and circumstances that allow him to do what he does. It was beautiful, a real expression of gratitude and I wish I could remember who the original poster was, but FB took it out of the Posts You Like feature within a half hour of my seeing it in the first place, and then that feature was back to just the usual dozen post listings from years past.

But I'm glad I saw it, and the words were just beautiful as I say.

The other post I saw actually showed up in my newsfeed, and that was the concert you will be attending of I Prevail & Versus Me at High Noon Saloon on the 13th, this Sunday. I am glad you are going, and I imagine you'll be taking pix as well. That afternoon, my band The Choir will also be playing our gig, lol. That will be our little spot in the concert by the SFV Master Chorale, so it will be a good day for music for both of us.

And speaking of music, wow - the news today from Neil Peart. Of course, all Rush fans were half expecting something like this ever since they announced that the R40 tour would be their last. And we all knew that Neil not wanting to tour anymore was the main reason. What shocked me today was his wording : "I am retiring from music". Not just "from touring" but from music altogether. I hear some people on the Internet going on, blah blah blah, about how anybody would feel the same way after 40 years at the "same job".

As if being one of the greatest musicians in the world is akin to being in an ordinary job-job.

Whatever the reason he said that - and the two most likely are physical pain from tendonitis and wanting to be with his family - it's also true that Neil is an emotional guy, and given to Grand Pronouncements.

What I say, is : You don't "retire" from music, or from any art form. Especially when it has been your life. You may stop touring, or even playing live altogether. You may even stop making records.

But when you are the greatest drummer to ever pick up sticks, it is doubtful you will never pick them up again, and when you do (which is likely to be sooner rather than later), your emotions will change.

Especially given some time to rest. Because music is in your blood. It's a huge part of who you are.

When emotions change, words change. Then decisions can change, too.

Obviously the guys in Rush are getting up there.

But Ritchie Blackmore just reformed Rainbow for a few headlining gigs at humongous festivals next Summer, and he will be 71 by then!

Rush has been such a huge part of my life that until I hear they are officially broken up, I will still hope for more. I was fortunate to be at the last two shows of the R40 tour, and overall I've been to 30 Rush shows in my life, going back to 1978.

I've seen many great drummers in that time. The only guy I'd put up there with Neil is Carl Palmer, who's performance at California Jam with ELP was probably the greatest drumming I've ever witnessed. But Neil was just about that great, and in his own way equally great, and he did it night after night, tour after tour, for 41 years. That's unreal. And last August, at The Forum, possibly the final Rush show, he gave what I consider the performance of a lifetime. I got to see him many times, and that one was the best.

So - thanks Neil! I hope he unretires at some point, 'cause you can always do that, too.

Just always remember that music, and all art, is Life, Sweet Baby. You can't retire from it, until.......

And that's still a long ways away, for Neil and for all of us.

That's all I know for tonight. Sweet Dreams, and I will see you in the morning.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment