Sunday, August 21, 2016

Todd Is Still Godd

Happy Super Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had another great show tonight. You guys are all over Pennsylvania it looks like, including another show there tomorrow. I only saw one post in the last couple days, a pic of a band on some steps leading down to the ocean, so I imagine that is not a reference to you, as you guys are inland. Well anyhow, post when you get a chance and enjoy your travels in the meantime. :)

Tonight's Todd Rundgren concert was really good. I said to Grimsley it was like a time warp because his voice was incredible (he's 68), and he played a ton of guitar, which he hasn't been known to do in recent years. Maybe it's because he's been on a "greatest hits" tour this year. He said early in the show that "this time, we are gonna play all the songs you know, exactly the way you remember them". Todd is a technical wizard and a stylistic chameleon (especially since the 1980s), and so apparently in tours past, you kind of never knew what he was gonna do, whether on record or live. As I said last night, most of the great albums and fan favorites come from the years 1972-1981, and in that period he established himself as one of the greatest songwriters and overall musicians of the era. Tonight he played 19 songs over 90 minutes, most of the songs from the classic era, and it was a great, great show.

Todd is Godd once more.

I'd guess there were about 3-4 thousand people in Pershing Square, but we managed to work our way through the crowd until we were about 50 feet from the stage, dead center. I had a clean view, the crowd was mellow, the band (including Prairie Prince on drums and the great Kasim Sulton on bass and note-perfect backing vocals) was high energy, and it was one great song after another. The final encore was "Just One Victory", one of Todd's best songs and my favorite off the "Wizard" album.

For me (and many fans I'm sure), I go so far back with this guy that it just blows my mind that he can do it just as good as he did it 40 years ago. And, his body of work is up there with the greatest musical artists, and one day he will be recognised that way.

Getting home was easy too. The subway station was right across the street from the park, so all in all, a very enjoyable evening.

Tomorrow morning will be church and singing, and so I will see you before I leave and then once again after choir practice, around 1pm.

I Love You. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment