Friday, August 12, 2016

Touring + Smog Made The News + "Ride The Pink Horse" (classic Noir)

Happy Super Later Night, Sweet Baby,

I figure it's "super late" if you are in Detroit, which is an Eastern time zone. So how is the tour going so far? Off to a good start, I'll bet. How do you like the "road aspect" of it? I know you've already got a couple tours under your belt, so you are somewhat accustomed to it. But do you like all the driving? I think I would enjoy it myself, having just done a couple of long driving trips which were a blast and made me ready for more.  :)

Well anyway, continue having an awesome time, and post some pix when you get a chance.  :)

Today a typical Hair Salon Thursday, the smog was still buggin' me a little bit. Hey. you know what? It was weird : yesterday my lungs were irritated by the smog and I mentioned it right here on the blog. I said that it's something that hadn't happened for years, since the 60s really.

And so this morning I went out to get the paper (Daily News), and the headline, in big bold type, was "The Brown Air Up There". With a big color photo of a smoggy sky. This accompanied an article about how bad our air has been recently. So I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing it. I found a good website to monitor the air quality on a daily basis, so I'm gonna do that from now on when planning hikes. Man, I thought we were all done with really bad smog. I mean, we've always had a bit, but the days of being full-on poisoned were so long ago I thought they had it all figured out. L.A. is still a great city, so bring on the electric cars.

Tonight's film was a classic, a Film Noir I had never heard of before : "Ride The Pink Horse", starring Robert Montgomery (who also directed). Montgomery was a great actor who is not as famous as he should have been, and in this film he created an atmosphere that put you right in the middle of the action. It was like an Orson Welles film, full of quirky characters. Montgomery plays an ex-soldier turned hoodlum who takes a Greyhound bus down to a small New Mexico town to blackmail a crime boss who had his friend killed. The locals are all Mexican immigrants, and they befriend him, in particular a strange young woman (played by Wanda Hendrix) who becomes his sidekick. It's filmed in shadowy black and white, creating a gritty atmosphere, and the plot is straightforward and relentless. Montgomery wants his revenge; the crime boss isn't gonna let him have it.

I was surprised I'd never heard of this film before, and I'd bet that would be the case for many film buffs. But it's on Criterion, and it's one of the best Noirs I've ever seen. Five stars all the way.

That's all for tonight. Keep up the good work on tour!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment