Tuesday, May 3, 2016

"Everest" + Love + Kobedogged Out

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I am happy to see that you had fun this past weekend, working on The Fine Constant video and also at the fashion shoot. In that case, your post via UW a few days ago was meant to signify the University itself, rather than what was in the text, which was the word "flight", and was why I thought you'd gone to Arizona. So there can be several ways to interpret a post, either simply by the source/subject of the post, or by something in the text, or by the imagery in the post (photo or illustration). Usually I get 'em right, though!  :)

Tonight's movie was "Everest", which I think was one of the best adventure films I've ever seen. Part of the reason was that it was very realistic, but it was also due to the emotional component. The 1996 Everest Disaster was a big deal in the news at the time, and I can remember reading about it as it was happening. It was big news because back then, commercial expeditions to the top of Mt. Everest were a relatively new thing. Before that, only professional mountaineers ever climbed it, and you rarely heard about them because Sir Edmund Hillary had already done it.

But when these civilians died in a horrible storm, it was big news. I followed the story in the papers, and then read Jon Krakauer's book, and saw the TV movie that was based on the book, all a long time ago. But this new movie, with a big budget and many name actors in the roles, is really gripping. I have no idea what would prompt someone to want to climb Mt. Everest, because there is a good chance you will die doing it, and even more than that, it's just a forbidding place. I do not see the beauty in it, except from afar. But that's kind of what the movie is about - that there is no reason why they did what they did, other than that they felt compelled to, and there was a professional climbing service available to assist them.

I'll stick to The Slide and Mission Point and Rocky Peak, which are between 1/10 and 1/15 the height of Everest, lol. And at angles no greater than 45 degrees, and with no ice falls or crevasses........

Although it was in the news that some guy got lost or stuck up near Rocky Peak for two days over the weekend. He must have screwed up and gone off the trail, because it's pretty hard to get lost in the local hiking areas, simply because all of them are within a couple miles of civilisation, even if you go way back into Rice Canyon, for instance, you are still just two or three miles from the highway. Probably what this guy did at Rocky Peak was to go off the trail and then get himself into a jam he could not get out of, because you can get stuck on a precipice that way, with a long drop down. That's why I don't even do "skinny trails" or "double drop off trails" (skinny trails that crest a mountaintop with a drop on both sides), as I have noted before, and I never ever wander too far off a trail, because of what can happen.

But yeah, wow what a movie.

Gave the Kobedog a bath today, in the kitchen sink here at Pearl's. Man did he ever hate it! He struggles like crazy every time I give him a bath. But right now he is lying down next to me as I write, and he is All Kobedogged Out, very calm and collected. His fur is very white now, and because he is on the chubby side, he looks like a miniature Polar Bear.

That's all for tonight, Sweet Baby. I saw the No Face "Spirited Away" post too. Loved it!

I Love You, too. See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment