Thursday, May 26, 2016

"To The Wonder" + Hope All Is Well + The Annual Horror (can't anybody stop him?)

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Well, I finally saw a couple posts by you, via Steve and James, both having to do with music : recording and touring specifically. So if those posts were meant as communication (instead of just being regular FB "likes"), then I guess you might be doing some recording of your own? Or maybe you are gonna go on tour with The Fine Constant? Both are guesses, but I'm tryin'.  :)

Mainly I just hope all is going well. If it isn't, don't hesitate to say so. Communication is everything, or at least it is if you want it to be. I am always here no matter what, but all I ever wanna know is if you are still with me or not. I hope you are.  :)

Tonight's movie was "To The Wonder" by Terrence Malick. It was released in 2012, to very little fanfare compared to "The Tree Of Life" from the previous year, and it's not hard to see why it didn't get as much publicity; it's not really that good. He uses a lot of the same techniques to get his story across - short "vignette" sequences (disconnected snippets) that give a vague idea of what is happening, without stringing together anything resembling a plot or linear storyline. He also uses the same constantly moving camera work that turns and swoops, which was tolerable in "Tree" because that was such a great film, but becomes annoying in this one.

The problem with "To The Wonder" is that it really has nothing but the thinnest story, and Malick pads it out with endless shots of his lead actress dancing around, and indulges in a pointless substory line about a priest who has no faith. The thin story is one of love, indifference, deceit and divorce, with Malick's Christian point of view poetically interspersed throughout, in words and pictures.

The reason "Tree Of Life" worked so well in this very abstract (and distracting) style of filmmaking was because it was jam-packed, with story, with implied details, with powerful characters powerfully acted, and with a ton of emotion and spirituality.

"To The Wonder" is not a terrible film, and the last 20 minutes hit hard, with a beautiful message, but overall it feels like he tried to use the same formula and filmic style as from "Tree", but he had nothing much to work with this time.

Still, I can chalk it up to my film watching education. Not every movie is gonna be a 10. 

Went for a full length walk at Aliso Canyon this afternoon. That place is becoming a semi-regular part of my daily miles, cause the trail is 3 miles round trip, and it's a nice change of pace from my usual CSUN walk, and also if I do 3 miles in the afternoon, then I have more than half my miles done which leaves time for an evening movie.

I'm just trying to fit more stuff into each day. Right now, that means books, movies, daily hikes/walks, photography when it presents itself, and learning more Beatles songs to play and sing, just for fun.

Finally, it's that time of year........which means that I am Sweating It Out and Very Worried.

Yeah, I'm talking about the NBA Playoffs, and now that OKC is about to eliminate the supposed favorite, Golden State, that means that there is nobody left to stop the dreaded LeBron from winning another championship.

Ohh, the horror.....the horror I tell you, Sweet Baby. Nothing can be done this time....

So I am cushioning myself to deal with it, even though it's just.........sports, I know. ///

And tonight, that's all I know.

I Love You and will see you in the morning!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment