Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Bottom Of The Ocean + "Old Joy" + Sofronitsky + You Got Me Again :)

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice Saturday. My day was good. Vickie did not come over, so I went shopping by myself, then at 2pm I went out to Corriganville for a 60 minute hike. That's my new specialty, the Hour Hike, and I did four of 'em this week, at Placerita, El Escorpion, Santa Su and Corriganville. I'm a hiking machine, haha. I can't be stopped!  :)

Tonight I watched a film called "Old Joy", once again directed by Kelly Reichardt. I think it was her first film, made in 2006, and it is very minimal, compared to her other films which are minimalist in style but have more story. In "Old Joy", almost nothing happens, and yet once again the film is really good, simply because of the elements involved, i.e. the pacing, acting, cinematography, choice of shots, and in the case of the story, what little does happen conveys a lot. I wouldn't put it quite up there with her other films, but it's still very good. I've seen all four that are available now, and I'll be interested to see what she does next.

The only post I saw was of one of your friends being a Rapper, so I think you were out to get me once again, lol.  ;)

Because you know that gets me every time.........   :)

I was listening to one of my Scriabin cds earlier this evening, as played by the great Vladamir Sofronitsky, and I have been wanting to post certain pieces because the playing is absolutely magisterial (love that word!). But the cd is from Japan, on the Denon label, and all the titles are in Japanese. So even though I've played the cd a hundred times, I never know what piece I am listening to, and because Sofronitsky - as great as he was - is still somewhat unknown - I can't find an English translation of the track listing no matter how much I Google, doggonnit. So I am searching Youtube and trying to find the particular pieces......

At Corriganville, they have a trail called The Interpretive Trail, and on it there are signs at various places describing the plants, animals, geology of the place, and other stuff too, like the movie location history. But anyway, one of the signs is placed before a huge and very high sandstone rock formation that is prevalent in the park, and in many of the areas I hike in. It's kinda weird how the sandstone is everywhere in Chatsworth and Simi Valley (next door to each other), but then ends abruptly in Granada Hills and Porter Ranch, the towns just to the East. That is where the Santa Susana mountains end, and the San Gabriels begin. From Googling once again, I see that the San Gabriels are made of something called Crystalline Basement Rocks, which are partly volcanic. It's really interesting how there is almost an exact demarcation line between the sandstone at a place like Santa Su, and the volcanic rock (which I used to think was granite) at Placerita.

But back to Corriganville, and the signs on the Interpretive Trail, on the sign facing the huge sandstone formation, like a giant rock wall, it described how the sandstone was formed - compressed in the ocean over millions of years into the gigantic boulders and walls that are everywhere in the region. 

I've mentioned it a bunch of times before, but it always fascinates me.

And this time, for the first time, I specifically thought, as I walked the trail......

"I'm walking on the bottom of the ocean".

It was an amazing thing to think.

Tomorrow, church and singing. See you in the morning, SB!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment