Friday, May 13, 2016

Great Pics! + Last Film Of Semester + Rick F. Wakeman

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your day was good. I really like the latest photos you posted on Flickr! Each of the three is different in style and color, great composition in all of them. I love the texture and rusty colors of the junk car parts, and the way they are piled up. Was that taken in Sedona? It seems like the type of thing you'd see in the desert. The sunset there is gorgeous and the hues and mountain lines remind me of our own landscape here in the west Valley. And your shot at the state park is beautiful, with great perspective on the water in the distance and the clouds above it, like a window. Really good stuff!

Was the state park trip a recent visit? I just Googled it, and it says that Wyalusing is on the Mississippi River, so maybe that's the river in your photo.  :)

Tonight we finished up the semester at the CSUN Cinematheque with our final movie in the Tarkovsky Plus series. We saw a Russian film called "Leviathan", which I saw on dvd last year and probably reviewed here at the blog. It is sort of a take on the Story Of Job, in which a man suffers successive troubles, stemming from the corruption of a local Mayor who covets his land. Incredible scenery and cinematography to go with the grim story. Russians generally don't do Cheery when it comes to film, but this one was excellent, and so was the entire series, which began with the seven Tarkovsky pictures and then concluded with works of many other directors who are similar in style to him. Next semester, in the Fall, we will be doing Robert Bresson, who is one of my very favorite directors, so that will be awesome.

Today they announced a tour of a new group of former Yes musicians, comprised of Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman, who will apparently be playing Yes music and other stuff. I am beyond excited for this one, first of all because Yes is one of the Ten Greatest Bands in the History Of Rock Music, and secondly because I never got to see Yes. They are one of the few groups I love who I've never seen live. It's not possible to see the real group anymore because founding member Chris Squire died last year, and all the other original members are split up in different factions, but this new group is the best one I could see because it has two of my favorite members (and two of my favorite musicians of all time, really) - singer Jon Anderson and progressive rock keyboard legend Rick Freaking Wakeman.

I am beyond stoked because I never thought I'd have another chance to see Rick Wakeman.

Back in the 70s, RW was the Pepsi to Keith Emerson's Coca Cola. Or maybe it was the other way around. Whatever, they were thee Two Greatest Keyboardists in The History Of Rock Music, and with Rick Wakeman, he wrote and created a solo album called "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII" when he was only about 24 years old, and it is one of the 50 Greatest Records Ever Made.

I saw Rick Wakeman at the Hollywood Bowl in September 1974. It was my third concert ever. I have not seen him since. So, when I see him with Anderson and Rabin in November, that will be the longest interval between "seeings"  - 42 years! - of any musician I've ever seen. The prior record I believe was Black Sabbath at 36 years (1978 - 2014).

Bottom line - Stoked.

And I am also very excited to see Jon Anderson, the Voice Of Yes, whom I've never seen at all. And he will be 72 when the concert happens........

I hope all projects are coming along well.

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment