Friday, May 6, 2016

"The Turin Horse" + See It + Potatoes + Cinco De Mayo

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Well, I made it through "The Turin Horse" again. My second viewing in about a year, and this time was of course on a movie screen. As the Professor said to us when it ended, "pat yourselves on the back; you made it"! And that really is the case with this movie. While it is unique (I've seen no other film like it), and while it is beautiful to look at (in a grim way), and while it does draw you in with it's long takes and expressive performances by the two main actors, it is still - in the end - an ordeal to sit through. And I don't mean that in a bad way at all, because for what it is, "The Turin Horse" is a brilliant film. But very little happens in the course of 2 1/2 hours, and what does happen, happens verrrry slowwwly. And as the characters are undergoing an ordeal, you as the viewer are forced, through the style of the movie, to undergo it with them.

To sum up : A unique film, brilliant in it's own way, with exceptional b&w photography. After two viewings, I would call it a "must see", even though you may not like it. I heard some students commenting on the way out, things like "that was even worse than such-and-such".....

The truth is that it's an extremely well conceived film. There is nothing "worse" about it.

It's just an ordeal, is all.

And I still wanna know what's up with the potatoes at dinner. Why doesn't the guy just wait a minute or two for his potato to cool down? Moreover, don't these people possess even one eating utensil? Apparently not. Or his daughter (whom he refers to as "Hey, you"!) could allow the potatoes to cool a bit before serving them. Finally, why does the man only eat a few bites of his potato each time he is served, at different meals? You would think he isn't in a position to waste food. And how does he get through the day on what must amount to about a hundred calories?

An entire film critique could be written just on the Potato Aspect of "The Turin Horse".  :)

I say, "see it at least once". Just rent it, press play, and see how far you can make it. And if you make it all the way through, then "pat yourself on the back" as the Professor said.......  :)

I hope you had a nice Cinco De Mayo. That's what it looked like you might be doing, from the posts I saw. It is a lot of fun to go to a Mexican restaurant on this day and have some great food and a margarita or two.

We used to have a blast going to the Acapulco restaurant next to CSUN back in the 90s, except that I could never keep up with my Dad and the late, great Mr. D. They'd be finishing off their third marg while I was still working on my first, and they liked the traditional ones without all the ice and froth. And they could drink more than three. I paid the price a couple of times trying to emulate them, haha.

For Mexican food (no drinks), you cannot beat our local stand which is called "El Indio". It looks like a place you'd pull into off the roadside, somewhere in Mexico, and the food is incredible. Tacos especially. I ate there all the time in the 80s. Now I am a Big Wimp watching out for my health and on the No Fun Diet.

I think I've gotta eat at El Indio more often, or at least once in a while. I'll probably live longer if I do.

And my first job was at Taco Bell. Destiny, I think.  :)

That's all I know for tonight, Sweet Baby! I have a day and a half off starting tomorrow evening, time for a little relaxation. See you in the morn......

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment