Monday, May 30, 2016

Late Sunday Night Love + Good Singin' + Top Ten Beatles (not all ten) + Mr. Hulot

Happy Super Late Night, my Darling,

Tonight is my final night at home, hence the late hour once again, but tomorrow I will be writing at the normal time, which is still pretty late I realise, but not quite as late. Anyhow, I hope you had a nice Sunday, and that your weekend has been enjoyable. Are you still in Minneapolis? Perhaps you have criss-crossed the state again, lol, and are in yet another location entirely. :)

I think it's great that you are doing so much stuff, and the Summer's just getting started so it's gonna be fun.

I did see one post from you today, of the picture of the ultra-cute doggie, and so you know I loved it. A form of Sweet Babyism indeed.  :):)

We had good singing in church this morn, and our director mentioned that he has been getting compliments about us from various church members, so he said we are soon gonna start working on more challenging material, and will also probably be putting together a Christmas program starting in the Fall. I am excited about all of this, because I wanna get really good at it.

Today's Beatles songs learned : "Help" and "All My Loving". There's those vocal lines again. John Lennon was a master of the moving vocal line, ascending or descending over a chord progression. And he had no formal musical training, so he just came up with it by imitation, initially. He imitated guys like Buddy Holly and The Everly Brothers, but he had an ear for melody that even surpassed theirs. He was writing incredible vocal lines right off the bat, in the early Beatles material. Paul McCartney was too, of course, but John wrote all the really smooth, harmonic stuff early on.

I'm trying to think of my All Time Top Ten Beatles Songs. It's a tough choice, but so far I've got a few:

1) "Penny Lane", the most Beatley of all Beatles songs. It puts you right there on Penny Lane itself. That one's by Paul. "Penny Lane" has always been my favorite song by The Beatles. After that, the songs are in no particular order, and I don't have a full Top Ten yet, but for now I would add :

2) "Ticket To Ride". Another John song, with a great riff by George (without whom there would have been no Beatles Sound).

3). "Hard Day's Night". John again. He was The Man in the early days.

4) "Help". 100% John, with advanced chordings.

5) "Sgt. Pepper's Lonley Hearts Club Band". 100% Paul, as is a lot of the later, more psychedelic stuff. Paul eventually turned out to be the more prolific and varied writer of the two, and when he rocked, he was also the most "metal". This song was hard freakin' rock for 1966, and still sounds so today. Man did I love that album; I got it for my 7th birthday!  :)

6) "All My Loving". Another Paul song. You can always tell who wrote what by who sang it, even though both guys contributed to almost all songs. But there was always one main writer for every song. Paul nailed it on this one, which for me captured the early Beatle excitement with it's volatile melody (ascending and descending) and fast strummed chords. Man what a great song.

So that's six "for sure" songs. It's very hard to choose from over 200, but I will pick the other four soon, and most will probably come from the early period.........or maybe not.  :)

No hike today, but I did watch a movie this eve : "Trafic" by Jacques Tati. Tati was a French director/comedian who created a character named "Mr. Hulot". Hulot was kind of a forerunner for Monty Python in some ways, I think, and maybe for Mr. Bean, too, because Hulot is mostly a silent character. He is also a bumbler, and everything he does becomes a disaster. Tati is fascinated with technology, as it was emerging in the 60s (which is when the Modern World really began to take shape), and he places Hulot (played by himself) in all kinds of crazy, elegantly choreographed situations using physical comedy, where everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. "Trafic" is about automobile culture, focusing on a group of people trying to get a new, highly technological camping vehicle to an auto expo in Amsterdam. The film looks great - it has that Tati look, where everything moves kinetically and one object sets another off - and it has a few good gags, but overall it was not as successful as the first three Mr. Hulot films. The first two are absolute classics, "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" is a must-see, and so is "Mon Oncle". "Holiday" is a 10+, an all time classic. "Playtime", the third one, is also really good. "Trafic" was okay, and had a great look, but there wasn't enough Hulot himself, bumbling around and causing catastrophe.

Anyway, I'd better post, as it's now Super Duper Late Night.....

See you in the morning, Sweet Baby!  I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment