Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sleepless + Hydration + Today's Hike + Alchemy, Bach & Shakespeare

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I saw your post about not getting enough sleep, so I will assume you are pretty tired tonight, unless you are like me, haha, and not getting enough sleep is a way of life that you are used to. I suppose I actually do get enough sleep most nights, but for me the problem is that I don't get the sleep all at once. Mine is broken up every couple hours, or if I'm lucky every four hours, but I am getting better at falling right back to sleep afterwards.

For you, it's gotta be non-stop editing, am I right?  :)

I am actually doing very well, energy-wise, and I am trying to stick to the No Fun Diet (which is almost impossible to do 100%, so let's say I'm at about 80-85%), and another thing I just re-started and am sticking to this time is to make sure to properly hydrate myself. A few years ago when I started hiking, I made sure to drink my 8 glasses of water per day. But slowly, I slipped away from that because it's so easy to not drink enough water. Most folks only drink when they're thirsty - me included - and if I do it that way (and I was for a while there), then I'm probably only getting about 4 or 5 glasses a day, and for a person who exercises like I do, it's not enough. In fact, now I read that the new recommendations are to drink half your body weight in ounces, so if you weigh 155 like me, that would be 77 1/2 ounces of water, or almost ten glasses. So I am trying to keep up, just by drinking more water before and after walks, and sipping a cup or two at regular intervals throughout the day. And you do notice a difference, in your skin, in your voice, your level of alertness, and how you feel overall.

Today I went out to El Escorpion Park in West Hills, which is the town just south of Chatsworth. Remember that the Valley has something like 30-odd towns, but almost all are part of the City Of Los Angeles. Anyhow, El Escorpion Park is home to the Cave Of Munitz, which I have mentioned before. It's always a nice hike, pretty level and easy, unless you are gonna go into The Cave, which I did not. I just went about a mile and a quarter back into the hills, lots of new growth because of the rains we've had. I did not take photos, though, just because of the reason lately that I've covered a lot of these trails. I always take my camera, though, just in case a good photo presents itself.

This afternoon at 4:30 I took Pearl & Kobe to Lake Balboa, and then this evening I read my books, as always. In my other Dr. Farrell book, "Thrice Great Hermetica", I am reading about the Hermetic influence on art and music during the Renaissance and Enlightenment, and how alchemy played a part in the writing of Shakespeare's plays, for instance, or later on in the counterpoint mathematics of the music of JS Bach. Alchemy was a process of transmutation, most famously of turning base metals into gold through a combination of chemistry and magic. But more than that, alchemy was really an overall process of transmutation, and in the case of art and music the goal was to transmute - or elevate - the human mind, heart and Spirit via the use of exact forms of composition, or words and dramatic situations in the case of Shakespeare.

The idea was that "as above, so below", that everything came down to geometry and harmony and balance on a large and small scale. The Universe, Stars and Planets, is the large scale, and Man is the microcosm, and everything that goes on geometrically and harmonically with the Universe, goes on within Man also. Hence, "as above, so below". So the ancient Hermeticists (followers of Hermes) from ancient Egypt supposedly had a higher knowledge of these things than we do today, and during the 17th and 18th centuries, great musicians, writers and artists were aware of this lost science and knowledge, and wanted to recapture it. So when you have the high art of Shakespeare or Bach, what they are really doing with their work is to try and transmute knowledge of a higher level, or more precisely, to bring down to Earth knowledge that was once known, but since lost, and to bring it down from a celestial level to a human level, through techniques like precise counterpoint or the precision of words employed by Shakespeare.

The point was to go beyond the writing of drama or the composition of music, which in both cases of those men was the highest level of each art form, and to take it further and actually transmute knowledge to people.

Knowledge of what?, you might ask. I think that part is intuited. But when you listen to Bach, or watch or read Shakespeare, you are aware that something of the highest level is taking place, and that it's effect is something even greater than the absorption and appreciation of the art and music itself.

It does something to you, that music and those words, and that's probably because an Alchemical transmutation is taking place in your brain.

That's all I know for tonight. See you in the morning, SB!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment