Saturday, June 18, 2016

One Woman Video Gang + The Return Of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I was glad to see your pic of the crew & musicians from last weekend's video shoot. You have no doubt been working hard on post-production, and I will look forward as always to seeing the results! You are a "one woman gang" when it comes to video production, my goodness.......   :)

I was Googling this afternoon for reviews or clips of the Rainbow show at Monsters Of Rock. For a long time nothing was coming in. I figured that, the concert being 8 or 9 hours ahead in Germany, that Ritchie & Company must have gone onstage about Noon or 1pm California time. By 3pm I went on my usual Friday Santa Su hike, and then did more Googling back at Pearl's. Later this eve, about 7pm, the first clips were posted.

My first reaction was that the new singer was pretty incredible, vocally almost a replica of Ronnie James Dio, but I thought the band was lacking in energy. The pacing seemed slow on some of the clips, but that could be expected with Ritchie being 71. It wasn't the pacing so much as the energy of the rhythm section. But then I considered that I was watching and hearing clips that were recorded on a cell phone. Later on, a different guy posted a full song, "Mistreated" (by Deep Purple, Ritchie played both Rainbow & DP material at the show), and that entire song sounded pretty good and fairly powerful. So you never know. Overall, I'd rate what I saw - all clips total - as about a 7. You probably can't expect a "10" from Ritchie at 71. David Gilmour did indeed deliver a 10 (or even an 11!) back in March, but then he is playing laid back music with about seven or eight backing musicians. Ritchie is playing hard rock. If you'd have seen Rainbow in the 80s, as I said before, they played fast enough and tight enough to make your head spin. Well, it was only the first gig of four, and it was overall fair-to-middling and certainly not terrible, and even pretty good in places. All of this being based on crummy cell phone video, too. If you were shooting it, the band would have looked and sounded incredible, and I'm sure they will work out some of the first night bugs and kick it up a notch at tomorrow night's show. You are gonna be shooting that one, aren't you?   ;)

Bottom Line : God Bless Ritchie Blackmore, and Rainbow and all the music and live shows they have brought us down through the centuries (literally, haha). Down through the Millennia, even! In a year when we have lost so many musicians and artists, to have Sir Richard still out there doing it, 55 years after he began!, is certainly a God Blessed thing. I just wish he would play Los Angeles again. I've only seen him once in 29 years......(c'mon, RB).

No movie tonight, I have instead been watching the last few nights episodes of an Australian mini-series called "Anzac Girls" that I found at the Libe. It is the story of nurses from the Australia New Zealand Army Corps (Anzac) and the work they did in World War One at a battlefield called Gallipoli, which is infamous in Australian history. The Aussies have never gotten enough credit for their roles in both World Wars. The mini-series is quite good, even a little bit of a chick-flick as it focuses on the women, but's that's fine as I like chick-flicks.........there is always romance in 'em.

That's all for tonight, Sweet Baby. I will see you in the morn.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment