Saturday, June 4, 2016

"Trumbo" + ARW + Trump Is Toast

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your weekend is off to a good start. I went out to Santa Susana this afternoon for what has become a regular weekly hike to the top of The Slide (i.e. the old Stagecoach Trail from the late 1800s). It was about 95 degrees out, so I got that ol' Summer Hiking Feeling for the first time this year. This morning, I was super excited to score a ticket to the Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman concert at The Orpheum Theater in November. I was worried that it was gonna sell out in minus-30 seconds, and that I might thus need a Time Machine to get a ticket, but thankfully this was not the case and I actually got a great balcony seat on my first try. :)

I know those names might not ring a bell, but they are three of the members of Yes, one of the ten greatest bands of all time. I have never seen Yes, nor have I ever seen Jon Anderson (one of my favorite singers) live, so this way I get to see at least a version of Yes, or part of it. I did see Rick Wakeman in concert, and I think I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, that his solo show at The Hollywood Bowl in Fall 1974 was my third concert ever. I haven't seen him since, so that 42 year gap will be the longest "in between" shows of any performer I've seen in concert. Pretty sure I mentioned all this, but anyway........stoked to get a ticket!

Tonight's movie was "Trumbo", starring Bryan Cranston as the famous screenwriter who was a victim of the Hollywood blacklist in the 1950s. The movie is very well done, and Cranston is great in the lead role. The movie is done with a somewhat comedic touch, to lighten the heavy subject of Cold War-era Communist paranoia. And Trumbo himself seems to have been a serious but light hearted guy, who really just wanted to write a lot of movies and get paid a lot of money. He lived like a wealthy man but identified as a Communist, and in those days you could get thrown in jail for those views. I wasn't alive in the 1950s, and instead was born into the turbulent 60s, when rebellion was in the air. People could, and did say anything in the 60s, Commie or no Commie, and I was raised on the Free Speech ethic, and the freedom to believe whatever you want to believe, so long as you don't hurt anyone, of course. I've even told you about my extreme left wing political views as a young man, which in hindsight were naive. But I was glad to have the freedom to believe in them at the time, and to say out loud what I thought I wanted to say.

That's why it is imperative to defeat Trump. He wants to take us back to those threatening and accusatory times of finger pointing and name calling. But I won't go off on a tangent about him, because he's gonna lose anyway. "Trump Is Toast", my campaign slogan.

Anyhow, a really good movie (a tad long) about an interesting and unsettling time in Hollywood, featuring real life characters like John Wayne, Edward G. Robinson and Kirk Douglas.

I like 'em all, regardless of their politics.

Today I only saw your post of the gal looking through the Arriflex cam, so maybe that means you are working on something yourself?

Probably.  :)

And if not now, you will be in a minute or two.......   :)

That's all for tonight. I will see you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment