Sunday, April 16, 2017

Busy Day : Brunch, Hikes, Walks & "Thieves' Highway" (a classic)

goHappy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a great day, maybe at a National Park or in Arizona or at home in Wisconsin or wherever you might be.  :) My day was busy. At Noon I went over to Pearl's, where they had a combination Easter Brunch and Birthday Party for me, both a day early because Pearl's daughter will be leaving tomorrow and I will be back at work. We had a very nice meal, my sister Vickie was there too and it was a lot of fun. I got back home at 3pm, chilled out til 5, then went to The Libe for movies. Then at 6, I went back to Aliso yet again, for the fifth day in a row. It is so magical there, especially at dusk (and you can hear the frogs croaking), and I can get four miles in, and because it's my week off I can take my time, that I just can't resist going and so this week it has been the thing to do, just cause The Vibe Has Been So Good. And, I saw the Aliso Coyoye, too, heading to the creek for a drink of water.

So, counting the walk to the library, that gave me six miles for the day.

I got home at 8pm and then met David F. for a CSUN walk, bringing the total to 8. Maybe I'm nuts, but I love being outside and I have a ton of energy, and it's my last day off til next month, so......  :)

My inspiration for my daily walk - which used to be a run from when I started at age 39 until I was 44 - was my friend Jon S. And compared to him I am sedentary, haha. He used to run 12 miles a day, every day, for years. He is the guy who hasn't missed a day of running since 1969. So actually, in comparison my activity level is no big deal, lol. I am just grateful to be so fortunate to be able to stay active at......hmmm, what am I now anyway?......oh yeah, 39. Yep, it is now officially my birthday and I am 39 just like Jack Benny.

Or 57, take your pick. And as I said to my sister and Helen today at the brunch, I still feel like The Kid of the bunch, because I was just a kid when all the older Baby Boomers were already Teenagers in the 1960s. So I was 7 or 8 in the Hippie Days and they were all 16.

Well anyhow, a good day today with Spectacular Spring Weather, and a lot of Out And About.

Tonight I watched one of the movies from the library : "Thieves' Highway" from Criterion, a Noir starring Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb and an Italian actress named Valentina Cortese. It was different : the story of truck drivers who haul and sell fruit in California in the late-40s, and the crooked wholesalers they have to deal with, who rip them off and even have them killed. There are a lot of ethnic/immigrant sub-themes to the movie, as they do most of the fruit growing and picking, and are subject to the abuse of the wealthy buyer, played to the hilt by the great Method actor Cobb. Despite the unusual subject matter, the movie is very hard-boiled in the best Noir tradition, with A Ton Of Stuff Happening, which once again shows what you can do in 94 minutes if you have energetic writing to work from. Lots of great scenes of truck driving on old California roads, and at the fruit market in San Francisco on the wharf. All shot in black and white of course. One of the more idiosyncratic Noir efforts I've seen, directed by a Frenchman named Jules Dassin, but an absolute classic nonetheless, with an "On The Waterfront" feel.

Well, that's all for tonight. Tomorrow morning is church and Easter Service, the most important of the year. We will be singing two anthems instead of one, and many hymns as well. Tomorrow night I will be writing from Pearl's once again, and will be back on Usual Schedule.

Happy Easter!

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment