Sunday, April 30, 2017

Keep Composing + Dandelion Greens + "Escape" with Taylor and Shearer

Happy Late Saturday Night, Sweet Baby,

Another routine workday for me, with nothing extraneous to report, but at least the wind has stopped. It's been a hike-less week due to the wind, and the plumbers coming over for three straight days, but next week I hope to get started again. I hope your day was good, and that all projects are coming along well as always. I urge you in the strongest possible terms (terms that are pumping iron, haha) to continue writing music at every opportunity you have. Your music has honest feeling from within, and you are doing something different. So, explore and contemplate what you are feeling when you compose, and listen to your muse. You have your own thing happening, so compose at every opportunity (when you are not working I mean).

Or, just consider composition as part of your work, with yourself as your own client.

End of Drill Sergeant routine for now. Remember when I first became your Drill Sergeant? Back in 2012?  :)  "Do this!....Do that"!  ("aww, c'mon Ad.....stop already").

Now I am just an occasional Drill Sergeant, but tonight I am on duty. :)

Today I went to the produce market and got my first bunch of dandelion greens. Oh Boy! - what I used to pull out of the ground as a weed, I am now buying in a professionally grown bundle, and I can't wait to try 'em! They are supposed to be really good for you with all kinds of vitamins and enzimes and stuff. I have been getting into greens in recent years, and have tried collard greens (really good) and red & green chard (yum) and kale (yeah I know, everybody hates it. Not spectacular but.....I'll eat it), and my latest favorite : Mustard Greens! And because you asked, yes, they do taste just a bit like mustard.

Man, are Mustard Greens good, and I am not even kidding you.

I was gonna get some more today, but they didn't have any. But they did have huge bunches of Dandelion Greens, so I thought "well, chalk another one up" and bought some. Still gotta try Turnip Greens, too.

Tonight's movie was called "Escape" (1940), starring ultra-handsome Robert Taylor as a man who has traveled from America to Nazi Germany to try and find his mother, an actress and German citizen who has been arrested on a trivial charge of selling her house without permission. This story is jam packed with plot and intrigue, as Taylor hits roadblock after roadblock in trying to find his mother, until he meets an expatriate American "Countess", played by the legendary Norma Shearer, who lives in luxury though imprisoned by her relationship to a German Army General played by Conrad Veidt, of "Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari" fame.

There is so much going on in this film, and it doesn't let up for a minute. It has one of the best depictions of the constant Nazi suspicion and interrogation that was ever present at the time and had to be endured by anyone who was not part of the machinery. It is interesting that "Escape" was released in 1940, a year before America was in the war, and in the film Robert Taylor as the American is able to get away with walking around freely and even becoming involved with the General's girlfriend (Shearer). Perhaps the Germans were still wary of messing with the Americans at the time, or at least it was depicted that way.

Well anyhow, a great movie, and once again a movie I had not known about. Good thing I did a Mervyn Leroy search in the Library database. He was the director of "Escape" and a whole host of assorted films in all kinds of genres, including parts of "The Wizard Of Oz" which had several directors. He was what you would call a Hollywood craftsman, a director who could work in any style, within the studio system of the time.

Well that's all for tonight! Tomorrow's anthem is a fairly easy one (though with offsetting vocal parts) called "Thou Shalt Love", based on the Two Commandments Of Christ.

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment