Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Chiaroscuro + Unique Style + Gale Force

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a good day. I liked the photo (or video still?) you posted this morning of Anna. The shadows on her face, neck and shoulder add a bit of chiaroscuro effect. That's a word I learned from Professor Tim at the CSUN Cinematheque. It is used to describe the "light & shadow" photography most often seen in Film Noir, where shadows are used to create patterns. Normally I don't like a lot of obscure film theory language because it is often very pretentious, but "chiaroscuro" I do like because it sounds like what it is, like a visual form of onomatopoeia, another totally pretentious word, lol. But with chiaroscuro, it sounds like "charcoal", and shadow patterns can have a "charcoally" effect.

"Man, that was a long way to go to make your point, Ad".

"Yeah, I know. But I had to do it because I wanted to say 'chiaroscuro' ".  :)

You had a self-portrait from a couple of years ago in which there was a lace-pattern covering your face. That one was totally chiaroscuro! Okay, now I'll stop saying it.

I also notice a slight vortex, or circular, pattern in the background of the Anna photo, and I wonder if you used a filter for that, or an app, because it's not just shallow depth-of-field. However you did it, it looks cool!

Not much to report from my end today. Pearl had a doctor's appointment in the middle of the afternoon which precluded other activity. It was just a checkup and she is doing well, blood pressure probably lower than mine, haha.

I saw a post via James, about getting ready to record, or "doing some recording" and I wondered if perhaps you meant that you were doing some too. Are you still learning your new viola? You have got something unique here, because no one else (or at least very few in your age group) is making original music for a solo instrument, and especially piano, and also just as a singular instrument.

Few people are making non-rock/pop/techno oriented music and going their own way as you are, so again you have got something unique happening. Just so you know that, which I am sure you do.  :)

Gale force winds are gathering force outside as I write, and are predicted to be blowing through The Northern Ridge for the next few days. That is of course Joyous News for me, as there is nothing I love as much as a constant windstorm (oy).

But I will hope for the best and try to get a hike in by Wednesday, and maybe some photos of my own, and some Chiaroscuro as well. There, I got it in one last time!

See you in the morning, SB. I Love You. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment