Friday, April 21, 2017

It Looks Like Good Things Are Happening + "Dark City" + "Chinese Bookie" + Thanks :):)

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope all is going well on the album front, and I'm sure it is. :) I see a post just now, just before I started writing this blog, via a friend named Brian, that shows pictures of a piano and another keyboard on what looks like either a soundstage or performance space of some type. The post appears to be about him, but you are tagged, so I am wondering if maybe you played tonight? If so then that is totally awesome!

Or perhaps Brian is a client and you were there taking pictures or video. That is of course awesome as well.

I saw several posts this evening, most music oriented. I see the singer for Stitched Up Heart on the cover of a music mag. They seem to be getting a lot of notice which is great for you too. I also saw the "Grilled Cheese" post by James (which you knew would get me, lol) and I figure he is angling for an endorsement from the Wisconsin Dairy Industry to become the Official Cheese Spokesman of your state. The way he is going, however, he may also end up having to create a 12-step program for recovering cheese addicts. It's a fine line he's walking, haha. But if they wanted to have an official Cheesehead, he's got it hands down.

I didn't do much today because it was a Hair Salon Thursday, but also I had to stick around and wait for a plumber because we had a leak in the sprinkler system here at Pearl's, with water coming up from underground. They got it stopped up and will come back Monday to repair it. So no hikes for the last few days, but maybe one tomorrow. Also, the Professor sent an email out this afternoon to let us know that tonight's screening of Cassavetes' "Opening Night" was cancelled. He didn't give a reason but said it would be rescheduled. So, instead I watched a great Noir at home, called "Dark City" (1950) with Lizabeth Scott and Charlton Heston in his first film role. Man, was it good. Heston starred as a guy who is part of an illegal gambling outfit that has been raided by the cops. Also part of the operation is Jack Webb, of "Dragnet" fame. He is soooo good in this. They can't run bookmaking schemes anymore because of the cops, so they resort to lower key card games, and in one game they cheat an innocent minded WW2 vet (Don Defoe) out of 5 grand. He then gets depressed and proceeds to kill himself. This is a very hard-boiled film. After the veteran's suicide, his psychotic brother comes looking for the card shark gang, and begins to take revenge on them. Heston is the one man left standing, along with his nightclub singer girlfriend Scott.....

Man, they just don't make 'em like this anymore. 100% great from start to finish. Tons of plot, stuff happening all over the place, great black & white Noir photography, including a travelogue through Downtown Las Vegas and parts of L.A., and even the Valley! Just when I think I've seen all the Film Noirs I can find, I discover one of the best yet...

And last night I did not mention that I watched another version of "Chinese Bookie" by Cassavetes. The theatrical version he released in 1976 (and which we saw last week at CSUN) was such a box office disaster that he re-cut it and made a very different movie out of it. Most re-edits just remove stuff to shorten a film, and Cassavetes did shorten it by over 30 minutes. But he totally changed the focus of the movie in the shorter version, turning it into a Noir crime film almost on par with "Taxi Driver". The Professor had told us about this recut version last week, and so I found it at The Libe. I was gonna tell him tonight that I had just watched it, but because of the cancellation I will have to tell him next week.

Well anyhow, that was all the news for today.

Except........I did see one other post, via Betty from Fall II Rise. It was in support of her boyfriend (?) - I am guessing but perhaps I have it right. The post was very heartfelt, and I thought, well, maybe if it was meant for me, then it was a very beautiful thing for you to say, and it means a lot to me. I have always known, ever since I saw your "Autre Temps" video, that you were very creative and had something special. That is the key, beyond even having talent.......to have something special or unique. So when I saw that video, I just thought "this young lady has something special happening".

And that feeling stayed with me for a couple weeks. Then I had to go in search of the video again, and finally send you an FB request.

And the rest is history! I always knew you could do everything you are doing. Part of it is because I've been around a while, and I know my music. But part of it is also because I can just feel the way things are gonna go.

Thanks for the nice words, Elizabeth.

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment