Saturday, April 8, 2017

Happy Friday + Whitney Canyon + "Woman On The Run" + In The Still Of The Night

Happy Late Friday Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your weekend is off to a good start. I saw your post this morning, via your friend who went for a walk by the lake, so I figured maybe you meant that you did, too. I guess that would mean Lake Mendota? It's great that your friend did the litter pick-up. They have organised clean-ups here too, at the beaches and parks. I have never participated, just cause I have so much else to do (how's that for an excuse?).

Today I went for a nice hike at Whitney Canyon out in Newhall. You know that is one of my favorite places. I was hoping for some colorful scenery, to capture in a photo or two, but everything is still mostly green and brown. Maybe in May or June the drying out will have commenced, and all those rustic colors I like will start to emerge.

Tonight's movie was an excellent Noir called "Woman On The Run" (1951) with Ann Sheridan, who had been a big movie star in the late 30s and early 40s. In this movie, her husband, an artist, witnesses a gangland murder and goes on the run, fearing for his life. In the process he leaves her behind and she goes in search of him. There is great 1950s era location shooting all over San Francisco. A newspaper reporter, played by Dennis O'Keefe, tags along, but as time goes by he is not what he seems. And the cops are on her trail as well. The movie is only 77 minutes long, but there is a ton of stuff happening, and a lot of zip in the script, which just shows-to-go-ya once again the importance of good writing. I tried to renew this film yesterday, because I thought that would give me a few extra days to watch it, in case I was caught up in my reading tonight or got a late start or whatever. But I wasn't able to renew, because somebody else had put a hold on it. That never happens with movies this old, especially obscure ones, so I thought, "wow, it must be well-known by noir fans", and with good reason as I found out.

So that was all the news for today. I also saw your post about being a Night Owl, and like you, I have always been one too. I guess my ideal wake/sleep times would be about 10:30am and 2:30am. That's what it always reverts to on days off. But even now I am up late. When I worked at MGM in the early 80s, I loved the 12pm to 8:30pm shift, because then I could get home at 9pm and stay up till 2 or 3am, then sleep til 10, and be back to work by Noon the next day.

It's just my biorhythms, but even more than that, I love the quiet of the late night.

No cars, no hustle bustle, just stillness. And I can gather my thoughts and think, which I love to do.

Nighttime is the time to really tune in.

I know it is for you, too. Just make sure you get enough sleep. I seem to be able to get away with 6 1/2 or 7 hours these days, although I love it when I can get 8.

Well, I will take my own advice and go to sleep soon, and then I will see you in the morn.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment