Saturday, April 22, 2017

Happy Friday + Your Video (Mineral Point Opera House) + "Silence"

Happy Late Friday Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a great day and a good start to your weekend. One thing I forgot to mention in talking about your album is the video for "Runaway II". That is an incredible setting, especially for a solo pianist! Just you and the Opera House. Is it the same place where you filmed Sarah's promo video for the pedalboard? Well, anyhow, however you reserved the place and however you managed the technical details of filming, it looks amazing. You must have had help, right? I mean, there is no way you went in there and filmed yourself, by yourself.  ;)

The theater is just beautiful and looks just like the old theaters in our Downtown district. And the piano is a classic Steinway. The Mineral Point Opera House is the beneficiary of your video for certain. I'll bet they've never had anyone come in and do what you did, at least not in recent times.

You are working at a high level, so keep your sights high.

But also keep your Spirit first as you continue to work and create, because all you have done so far has originated in your Spirit. You already have the work ethic and the technical know-how built in.  :)

You already know all of this of course. I am merely the Drill Sergeant.  :)

Today I did go on a hike; nothing fancy, just a trip to Aliso Canyon, though it was a full length, 3.75 mile hike. Aliso is one of the longest canyons of all in the area, but as previously noted it's mostly flat and therefore more of a walk than a hike. But still........3.75 ain't too shabby. Gotta do my five miles per day one way or the other.

Tonight's film was "Silence" by Martin Scorcese. It just came out last Christmas. Grimsley saw it and has been badgering me to see it ever since.

After seeing it tonight, I guess it is one of the greatest films I have seen in recent years, and one of the greatest Christian films ever made. I had said to Grim last year that I was thinking that Scorcese was overrated. He made "Taxi Driver", which to me is one of the Very Great Films, Top Ten for sure. But then he also made "Raging Bull", which the critics loved but which I thought was terrible, and then he made "Goodfellas" and a bunch of over-violent crime films that were way too long. Then he branched out and made films like "The Aviator", which was okay, and some other stuff. But the point is that many critics have considered him to be The Greatest American Filmmaker Of All Time, and I was telling Grim, "he's not even close". Despite "Taxi Driver", which is only one film after all.

But with "Silence" I think he has redeemed himself. It is so strong in it's message that I think he is trying to make up for the ridiculous and blasphemous premise of "The Last Temptation Of Christ", which was so awful that it was almost amateurish. "Silence" is the epic story of two Jesuit priests from Portugal who travel to Japan in the early 1600s to search for their mentor, a priest who has disappeared and has been said to have apostatized, i.e. renounced Christ. Andrew Garfield stars as the priest who goes through trials at the hands of the Japanese Inquisitor while trying to remain faithful to both his God and to the villagers he meets who practice Christianity surrepticiously. Garfield should have gotten the Oscar for this role, and in the past year he has been the star of two of the greatest Christian movies ever made, the other being "Hacksaw Ridge", which was directed last year by Clint Eastwood.

Now, when I say something like "greatest Christian movies", you know I mean The Real Thing, and not some propaganda coming from a fundamentalist Church source. God Bless those folks, too, but these films I am talking about have come out of Hollywood, from the major directors Scorcese and Eastwood, and it is incredibly heartening to me that such men would make films like these in the cynical time in which we live, and not only that - but that their movies would have gotten major studio support.

So a humongous Hooray, all the way around. And to Andrew Garfield, who nailed both roles to a tee.

So my point was that Martin Scorcese has redeemed himself, and in my opinion he has made his greatest film since "Taxi Driver".

And that is all I know for tonight.

I will see you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment