Thursday, April 20, 2017

"Notepainting" + Classical Music Appreciation

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I see you are getting a lot of great comments on "Notepainting", and some shares on FB, too! The word is getting around and may it keep doing so. Your album will be a surprise to many people because they haven't been exposed to solo piano music before, but it will also be a breath of fresh air because the music is beautiful. It has a flowing quality and of course that "river of tones" that we have talked about as the piano's unique sound. My favorite song for today is "The Thaw". I like the way it builds up but keeps it's rhythm all the way through.

You are introducing people to piano music. That is super cool!  :)

One thing I did not know is that you have been a fan of classical since you were a kid. You mention that on your website, as well as your favorite classical radio show and your Tchaikovsky tape. I knew you liked Debussy and other impressionist composers, and modern piano composers also, but I did not know you were a classical fan since childhood. As you know, the first music I was exposed to was classical. Probably Scarlatti, Bach & Mozart. My Dad's records and the music he was able to play himself on piano. Dad was not a great player but at that point probably still a good one. He played more in his youth but by the time I was born he was occupied by work and played only in the evenings for a little bit. Eventually he got the Dupuytren's Contracture hand condition that I now have, and that is probably why he stopped playing around 1972 or so. But anyway, the first music I ever remember hearing was Piano Music.

I suppose I always loved the sounds of classical music myself because of the early exposure. But for me, after The Beatles came along and I got Hooked On Rock, I didn't really pay any attention to Classical for years. But then, something interesting happened when I turned about 24 or so. I have always had a hard time falling asleep in total silence, and so I started to turn on the radio at night to help me sleep. Now, I didn't want rock music playing, even softly, because of the beat and the generally aggressive singing. So I rediscovered Classical this way; it was the perfect music to fall asleep to, because it was so beautiful and free flowing, and had no drum beat. It seemed to come from dreams itself. I got hooked on my late night falling asleep classical radio, and I've basically had it on ever since. For me it has been KUSC for years and years, and my favorite show has always been Jim Svejda's. He is hands down the best classical DJ I know of, though everyone on KUSC is great. It is my favorite radio station, and it is the reason I now listen to classical music at least 50% of the time. But it all started with my Dad. He is The Reason For The Appreciation.  :) And with Dad it was mostly about piano music because that was what he played. And he liked harpsichord too. The organ music I got into all by myself, haha.

So I am glad you had the same childhood experience, of appreciating classical music! As much as I love Rock and always will, there is a breadth of feeling in classical that cannot be brought out in the rock format. Rock is for rockin', and I love it and I have to rock; it is in my DNA. But there is something about classical that goes beneath the surface....

I will leave it at that for tonight.

See you in the morning. I Love You.  :):)

May the word, and the music, continue to spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment