Friday, April 28, 2017

Self-Portrait + "Opening Night" + FB Memes + Gale Force Bugs Me

Happy Late Thursday Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your day was good as always. My main activity this afternoon was getting my hair cut during Pearl's usual appointment. She cut it a bit shorter than usual, but I like it, hence the selfie I posted. I liked your selfie this morning, although in your case it should always be referred to as a Self Portrait. :) You specified the location, i.e. Absolute Middle Of Nowhere, but you did not tell what that brick building is. It's really cool, and I think of it as an icehouse for some reason, though it's probably something else. And when you say "drive to the absolute middle of nowhere", do you mean like more than a hundred miles? I ask because I have always remarked on the perceptive driving differences between SoCal folks and Midwesterners. I first noticed this when guys at the KX board would talk about driving 200 miles to see King's X or some other band, like it was no big deal. And then I would chime in and say, "to us, even driving 50 miles is a big deal", to see a band or otherwise. I think it's because of the traffic, which makes driving no fun. But when we went to see the poppy reserve two weeks ago, we took old country roads instead of the freeway. That drive was about 50 miles, and it was awesome : no cars, no buildings, just the road and the sights. It makes the miles go by quicker. Well anyhow, I like the old brick structure in your photo.  :)

One of these days I've gotta do a desert drive and look for similarly cool spots.

Tonight's movie at CSUN was "Opening Night" by John Cassavetes. It is the story of a theater actress who begins to suffer a nervous breakdown (typical Cassavetes) after witnessing the death of one of her fans in a traffic accident right after a show. She is already an alcoholic to begin with (typical Cassavetes) and has issues with playing an older woman in the play she is starring in, even though she is not young herself.

This movie has a lot of great things going for it, especially the Live Theater premise, in which the movie becomes a play-within-a-movie and goes back and forth in that manner. The staging of all of that feels like you are right there watching a play, and yet you are watching a movie, and because it's Cassavetes it all feels like you are watching real life to begin with, and not a movie or play on a screen. You also get Gena Rowlands (from Madison, WI) in yet another bravura performance, as she goes through the torment of guilt feelings of the fan's death, and also internalizes her as a memory of her younger self, which is a weapon against the aging character she plays on stage. She does not like getting older and does not like being in a play about such, and so the deceased young fan becomes an inner alter-ego to fight back against it all.

It's all Extremely John Cassavetes, meaning it is full of psychological/emotional examination of human motivations. It's not as chaotic as some of his earlier films, and the theater aspect looks great onscreen.

This film would have been a classic but for one thing : it's too doggone long. 2 hours 27 minutes.

It should have been about 45 minutes shorter, or at least a half hour shorter. Then he would have had a great film. But it was still very good, and I think Gena Rowlands should be recognized as a very great actress. She is phenomenal in all of these films by her husband.

Well, that's all I know for tonight. I also saw your post about the "Ten Bands I've Seen" meme on FB, with Batman smacking Robin. Haha, I felt the same way - and you know I generally never participate in Let's All Join In type stuff on Facebook, but I did last night just because I got an idea to do it backwards; to list one band I've seen, and nine lies. So I did mine to be contrary, because it was bugging me too, lol. And so I picked one band that I figured most of my friends would never guess I had seen, The Bay City Rollers, who were a huge Teenybopper band in the 1970s. Ono remembered, though, and Mike B. would have known anyway because I went with him. But yeah, I generally agree with your post about all FB memes.

We are still having this humid and gross Monsoon weather here, with the never-ceasing Gale Force winds. I hate wind so much that I'd rather have pouring rain and even freezing cold. Wind is my worst weather condition of all; for some reason it just makes me very uncomfortable. Hopefully it will stop soon.

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment