Thursday, September 19, 2013

Happy Thursday Morning :):) (I'm Home) (a great photo)

Good Morning, my Angel,

I'm home now, until 11am. Today I will be back and forth, taking Pearl to the hairdresser and bank. I found some Dell Operating System Reinstallation cds, that I will try to use this evening to fix Pearl's computer. A couple years ago, maybe right after I met you or just before, I got a horrible blue error screen that I couldn't get rid of, and Dell sent us these discs, and they fixed the problem. So, I will try it again. I'd forgotten that I even had them until this morning.

It's a great day, and only two days till Alcest! I will check in during the afternoon, then tonight is movie night, and I will be back after that at about the usual time, 9:45 or so.

I Love You! :):)

10pm : I am back from the movie. It was called (shudder) "Beware The Holy Whore", a movie about making a movie, like Fellini's "8 1/2" or Truffaut's "Day For Night". "Beware" is not as famous as the other two, because it was one of Fassbinder's early efforts, and so it's not as polished, perhaps. But I am loving this series so far. Boy, talk about prolific - Ranier Werner Fassbinder made 11 films in the first three years of his career. None were big lavish productions, but still.......

Anyway, I am gonna eat something real quick, and then I will be right back. I hope you had a great day.
I Love You My Darling. :):) 

11pm : I see you put up some new photos on Flickr. Some I had seen before, a couple I had not, and one I especially liked looks like a seed pod of some type. That is, the object appears to be a seed pod, but the way you photographed it renders it as softened light and motion. There may not even have been any motion involved, I don't know, maybe it's just a depth of field effect. There is also a crystalline aspect in places that is similar to the photo of the ice crystals in your scarf. I love this kind of photography, my comment at Flickr was "pure imagery" because the macro image removes the emphasis on the subject. So, while the idea of a seed pod remains (if it is indeed a seed pod!), the subject itself recedes and becomes object, or image.

Shape, light, and (in this case) motion or the appearance of motion.

You are developing a wide range in your photography. Keep going, but whatever you do, do not succumb to the computer enhancement that seems to be all the rage nowdays. I see so many pictures that look "tricked out" or "juiced up" like they are on steroids. Unreal colors, far too saturated, unnaturally contrasted. People want their photos to look slick or pretty, and they wind up not looking like a photograph but like CGI.

Sorry for the tangent! I just don't like that type of photography. I like the basics : you've got light, you've got a camera, you've got an image in your viewfinder, and you've got your eye. Let's see what comes out.

And that is how you get the most magical photos. Always remember the Muse, because the Muse is present in all things artistic, photography too.

That particular photo would fall into the Weston school of photography. Edward and his son Brett Weston took black and white close up photos of all kinds of objects, in order to capture texture and light, and grey scale, and shape and form and depth.

In the book I just finished, by Damien Echols, the guy who was in prison for 18 years for murders he didn't commit, he talks a lot about what is "magick" in the world. The guy is brilliant, and his story is astounding and horrible, but he is also a very artistic guy (he's a Sag, too), and he talks a lot about the "ghosts" all around us, in everyday things like sunlight and shadow. The way he writes it, a ghost can be a simple flicker, or a reflection in an iced-over puddle in the sidewalk. "Ghosts" (maybe what you and I would call "glimpses") can be something visualised, or just something imagined. Damien really describes what magick (as he calls it; different from "magic") is, and what ghosts are, and his writing is some of the best I have ever read.

I mention it because magick and ghosts and reflections and glimpses permeate all things artistic. And when you go out with your camera (or sit at the piano) and have these ghosts in mind, they will appear in your photos, and in your music, in the form of light, and shape, and flash, and motion, and all kinds of other things.

Ghosts not necessarily in the human sense, though there are those too, but in the life sense.

Ghosts are intrinsic to art.

A great photo, Elizabeth.

I Love You So Much, you know, and I will see you in the morning.

 P.S: I did run that Windows Installation disc on Pearl's computer, and I got it to re-install, but I still can't access the Internet. There is a regular Internet screen visible now, but when you type a url into the address window, it fails to load. Something about "cards". Memory cards, or drive cards or something. Something about not having an ISP, but we do have an ISP. But I will figure it out. At least I got the Windows loaded. In a day or two, I should have the problem solved.

Gotta be connected to my Angel.  :):)

Sweet Dreams.

I Love You So Much, Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment