Friday, October 11, 2013

Oviatt (music)

Good Afternoon, my Angel,

I was at the Oviatt for the last couple hours, sorting through pictures on my camera card (and deleting a few), and also posting a couple of my recently developed film photos, which I had on a Walgreen's disc. I put two up on FB and another one on Flickr. They are some of the better exposures on that roll that, for some reason, came out looking washed out. The three that I posted, though - and especially the photo of the Disneyland Teacups - remind me why I love film so much. Film just gets colors that you don't get with digital. I don't mean the colors are better, and certainly not worse, they just look.......I don't know........more blended? Softer, maybe? I don't know how to describe it. But I will keep shooting film from time to time as I said in an earlier blog. It's pretty much 20 bucks a roll now, when you count the cost of the film, and developing and prints, and it also requires more discipline because you can't afford to waste a picture with film, and you don't get the instant satisfaction you do with digital. So digital will be the main method from now on, perhaps, but.............shoot some film from time to time, I say. Just cause it's different.  :)

I'm not going to shoot any more of my expired film, I don't think, at least not until I figure out why most of my pics came out so faded, or grainy and dark. I mean, the last pics on the roll were shot in Chatsworth in broad daylight, full sun, and they came out looking like they were shot at sundown. If it was camera battery, you'd think, if anything, it would have caused the shutter to slow down, which would have led to a brightly overexposed photo. So I think it's gotta be the film. So I will get some new color rolls and shoot 'em. Right now, I've got black & white in the cam. One other thing I like : with my film cam, my Pentax, I am shooting in 50mm, so I am not getting any convex effect in my photos. I mean, I love my little Panasonic point & shoot, and I've gotten a lot of good photos out of it, but anything shot up close will have a wide angle effect. Not so with the Pentax 50mm lens.

Well, it's all good. I like both my cams, and eventually I will get a nice digital SLR, too. Anyway, that's what's happening at the moment.

I hope you are having an awesome Friday. It's been One Of Those Mornings for me.

You know the kind. I am talking about The Best Kind Of Morning, where I feel completely in tune with you, and everything around me reminds me of how much I love you.

I'll be home for the rest of the afternoon, til 4:15, then back at 6:45.  :):)

11pm : Listening to the music of Klaus Schulze. He used to be a member of a group called Tangerine Dream, which made music entirely from synthesizers. T. Dream had two classic albums in the 70s, "Phaedra" and "Rubicon", both of which were huge hits in Europe, a bit less so here, but still popular. It's very hypnotic stuff, you can't call it rock, and yet it fits under the rock umbrella. I had all the Tangerine Dream albums from the beginning, but I had never heard Klaus Shulze before tonight. Sometimes, I am looking at my CD collection, and I can't find anything I want to listen to, even though I love every CD I have. Any music lover will go through phases like that, because when music is a main part of your life, you get to the point where you "know" certain albums so well that you must give them a break. A lot of music you have to be in the mood for. Right now, I am trying to think of stuff I never looked into back in the 70s, just to give it a shot, and so tonight it's Klaus Shulze. And, he sounds almost exactly like his former band, Tangerine Dream.

It kind of blows my mind that popular music went from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", which was the first song I ever got hooked on, 50 years ago this week, to stuff like "Phaedra" or "Brain Salad Surgery" by ELP just ten years later. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" was extremely well crafted, as good as a pop song gets, but then, in the next ten years, rock music just launched itself, and there was every kind of sound you can imagine. Even with classical music, which I love to death, there were distinct formats when it was in it's grand, formative era. But when rock took off after The Beatles broke out, there were no limits.

So, I love to listen. And I also like to shake things up once in a while, just to see if I can find something I hadn't heard before.

I hope your weekend is off to a good start. At the Cinematheque last night, I heard some students talking about mid-terms. Is it time for those already? Well, the weekend is the weekend, so have fun.

I Love You, Elizabeth. Sweet Dreams.     xoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment