Thursday, January 30, 2014

Polar Vortex Is Toast (Movie Night) (Apu Trilogy)

Good Morning, Awesome Lady,

The temps look a little better for the next couple days in Middleton, so my strategy must be working. I've been pointing my space heater in your direction, the Polar Vortex is no match............  ;)

I love the Tuba Kitty! I am trying to make Black Kitty into more of a pet, and so now I am using gardening gloves in an effort every evening to get her to let me pet her. I think I told you that when I have tried it in the past, she always takes a swat at me with her sharp claws. With the gloves, she still swats but I don't move my hands away, so I am showing her that she can trust me. Now, when I go out to feed her in the evening, she is sometimes laying all stretched out on top of the shed like she's comfortable, just like a pet cat would. We have really made progress since a few months ago, when she would run and hide as soon as she saw me coming with her food.

I like the b&w photo of the woods, too. That photographer has the right idea about adding something to a picture, a focal point if you will. It's those kinds of small details that give life to a photo and draw the viewer in. You know me, I am always looking for the "face" in things - the personality - because I believe that some form of spirit is invested in just about everything. So when you are looking through your viewfinder, do the photographic Feng-Shui thing that we've talked about; adjust your frame until all the lines and shapes feel just so (in balance), but also look for that personality, as if what you are looking at - no matter what it is - is trying to tell you something.

Today is a semi-busy one. Gonna hop in the shower, then go pick Pearl up from the hairdresser, then I've gotta go out to the DMV to get the new registration sticker for my car. I made it by one day! DMV is usually pretty crowded, I was sorta hoping to get to Stagecoach Trail, which is nearby, but I'll see if I have time.

In any event, things are gonna pick up soon, and that Polar Vortex is toast, it'll never stand up to my heater.

I'll be in and out, but back by 4:30 at Pearl's.

I Love You, hope your day is going well!    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

5pm : I'm writing from Pearl's to say hi. The DMV was jam-packed, as always, but I got my sticker, so mission accomplished. Tonight I am going to the Cinematheque to see Ray's "Aparajito", the second film in the "Apu Trilogy". This one I haven't seen, but it's sure to be interesting. The first one ("Pather Panchali", last week's film) is really a classic, and I've seen the third one, too, so now I'll know the whole story. You wouldn't ordinarily think of India when you think of great cinema, but Satyajit Ray was a world-class director with a European sensibility in his approach to filmmaking.

I should be back by the usual time, 10-ish. Have an awesome evening, Elizabeth, whether stargazing or anything else!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:15pm : The movie was excellent. "Contemplative cinema" was how the professor described it. If someone could distill this kind of moviemaking, with this kind of honesty, simplicity and depth, in this day and age, they'd really be on to something. I'll say again that it's slow paced, and you have to accept that going in, but when you agree to that and just allow it to unfold, you are given a film that will stay with you forever. I think "The Apu Trilogy" is one of the great works of cinema, and what is remarkable to me is that it wouldn't be all that difficult to make such films today. Meaning neo-realist, or perhaps just Real Films. Now remember, I have nothing against Hollywood, and in fact I love it when it's at it's best, but I'd also like to see a return to the masterful simplicity of these art films of the postwar period, where there is no excess. Every word, scene and shot count. The pace is slow, but it feels like real life, and you absorb it as such, and it stays with you. You almost feel like you were in the story yourself.

Now I am listening to French Organ Music to unwind. I will see you in the morn. Sweet Dreams, Nice Lady.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment