Friday, September 25, 2015

East Walker (go to both?) (Mugu)

Good Evening, my Darling,

I am just getting home from Pearl's and I wanted to say hi. I hope you had a nice Friday and are enjoying your start of the weekend. I did wind up going on a hike, as you can see by the photos I posted on FB. I found a new place called East Walker Open Space, which is part of the larger Walker Ranch property in Placerita Canyon. I actually found out about East Walker earlier in the Summer, but didn't get out there until today. The hike starts out up an old, paved road going up a steep hill. When you get to the top, you are on a trail going back into the Walker property, a name which takes on a new significance since I've been watching The Walking Dead (in case you've never seen it, they call 'em "Walkers" instead of Zombies).

East Walker is a lonely old place, and of course I was the only one up there. It is on some serious backwoodser property, which apparently was used back in the 1940s - by the Walkers - as a manufacturing site, though I don't know what they were manufacturing, and there are no traces of any human presence except the paved road. It's actually a little creepy up there, but I suppose that's a good thing. Each place I have hiked has it's own vibe. I didn't take a lot of pics, but the two I posted are representative of the atmosphere.

I saw your post (via Morgin) about the Hassleblad, and I don't know what model it was in the pic, but of course I would love to have one myself. In fact, I would love to have an old Hassleblad 2 1/4 inch film camera! If film was still convienient, I would even think about getting one. Hey! - I'll have to Google to see if they even make 2 1/4 film anymore.......

I'll bet you are getting ready for tomorrow, and I know you already know they are playing an afternoon acoustic set, at a Chicago record store, just like they did in 2013. They did one in L.A. too on that tour, but I couldn't go because of work. I'll be at the concert, though, one week from next Wednesday.

Well, that's all for the moment. I am gonna do my Usual Evening Stuff and I will write more when I get back to Pearl's. See you in a bit!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:20pm : Hi, my Darling. I am at Pearl's, and still have to get things situated, but I just now saw your post (James Milbrandt), and I did not know that the rock festival is the same day as Alcest. Are you gonna do both? Because you have posted a couple times about the WJJO Sonic Boom, I am guessing that means you are gonna go, and maybe shoot bands? But I am also guessing there is no way you are gonna miss Alcest.

Maybe if the Sonic Boom starts in the afternoon, you could go and even stay till 5 or 6pm. How far is Chicago from the festival? About 100, 150 miles?

All just guessing on my part, but I hope you get to go to both, and I am sure you would like to.

Well, now I'd better get things situated here, but I'll be back in just a few minutes at my usual time. But I just wanted to check in cause I saw your post about the Sonic Boom.

I Love You! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(back in a few....)

12:15am : I am back and all is quiet. The Good Sleep Streak continued last night and fingers are crossed that it will extend itself once again this evening. Yes indeed, Sweet Baby, I hope you get to go to both shows. I'll tell you what I wish I was going to see, and that's the Blue Angels at the Point Mugu Air Show tomorrow and Sunday. Point Mugu (pronounced like Mr. Magoo) is a Naval Air Station that Dad took me to several times as a kid. It's about 60 miles up the coast, right off the ocean. The last time I was there was about ten or eleven years ago - with Dad - and the Blue Angels were supposed to fly that day but got grounded by bad weather. I haven't seen 'em fly since I was little in the 1960s, and this weekend is the first time they are at Mugu in ten years. Airshows used to happen all the time, but budgets aren't what they used to be, and then factor in post 9/11 paranoia culture, etc.

So I haven't seen the Blue Angels since I was little, but I have seen a group equally (if not more) amazing, and that's the Air Force Thunderbirds, whom I've seen about three times since 1995. I know it's probably a Guy Thing to talk about, but I have always loved going to airshows. This doggone budget mess has put them on hold, especially at Edwards Air Force Base, for about the past ten years. I love Edwards, and would go every year if they would have a show, but the last one was (I think) in 2009.

You would even like the Blue Angels and Air Force Thunderbirds, if only from a filmic perspective.

Anyhow, I am gonna have to miss the Blue Angels at Point Mugu, just because in L.A. - or what is called "the L.A. area" (which is humongous), 60 miles is a long way, and then trying to park at the Naval Base, with probably 50,000 people attending..........I just can't do it with my work schedule.

But the next show at Edwards, I am there no matter what! :)

It just goes to show ya, you can't always make it to everything. But I still hope you get to go to both concerts tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams and I will see you in the morning.

I Love You, Elizabeth!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxo  :):)  

No comments:

Post a Comment