Friday, September 11, 2015

Thursday Night Love

Hi, my Darling,

Happy Late Night. Today, I did see your post this morning (of the two birds), but only because I found it in the "posts Elizabeth likes" option. I seriously don't know what the problem is with FB and the news feed, but anyway, I'm just glad I saw it.  :):)

I saw your art post, too, in the afternoon when I was here at Pearl's. The one with a girl working on a painting or drawing in a big empty room. So maybe you've been working on a similar project. Today was super hot yet again, very monsoon-like (minus the monsoon), and mostly it was a typical Thursday, although the painters were here for much of the day and will be back tomorrow, too. Then they say they will be done.

Tonight at CSUN we saw "The Magnificent Ambersons" by Welles. Grimsley was there, too, although we arrived and sat seperately. I have my semi-official seat down in the front row center, just like at concerts, because I am the longest-attending member of the Cinematheque, since the beginning in 2009. But I am glad Grim has taken an interest, perhaps because he loves Orson Welles. I myself own "Ambersons" on dvd, and have seen it many times. There is an amazing and semi-tragic story behind the film, which originally ran 135 minutes, but was taken from Welles and re-edited by RKO studios all the way down to 88 minutes, and with a different ending as well.

In the modern era of dvd and film preservation, we have seen the original versions of many films restored to their full length running times, but that will never happen with "The Magnificent Ambersons" because RKO dumped all the original prints into the Pacific Ocean off of Santa Monica Pier. What a terrible thing to do.

Even so, the 88 minute version is still a great film. The heads of the movie studios really set out to destroy Orson Welles after "Citizen Kane", and he had a hard time with his career after "Ambersons", but those two are surely two of the greatest films ever made, so his legacy is secure.

Well, that's all I know for tonight. It was cool to watch Stephen King receive his Medal Of The Arts this afternoon at The White House, from President Obama. For me, he is one of the main artistic influences of my life, simply in the way he has made me think. A horror writer, indeed, and a popular one for good reason, but more than that, a brilliant, brilliant man.

See you in the morning, Sweet Baby. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment