Friday, September 18, 2015

Friday Night Love :):) (minimalism & muse)

Hi, my Darling,

Happy Friday Night. I am at home and am off til Sunday morning. I've just been relaxing this eve, watching a "Walking Dead" episode (how's that for relaxing?) and just now I got back from my walk. I hope you had a nice day, and I hope you've been pleased with the progress your video is making.

I am gonna read my Hoagland book for a little while ("Dark MIssion") and then I will be back to write more at the usual time. Just wanted to let you know I am here and that I Love You!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

12:20am : Happy Late Night, Sweet Voiced Baby! Wow, on "When The Sun Hits", you've got a couple notes on there that go into the stratosphere, super-soprano. But especially what I like is that dreamy quality you get with your voice, and I'd triple-love to do some harmonies with you, now that I am getting better at them myself.

Tonight I am listening to "Five Leaves Left", the debut album by Nick Drake that came out in 1969. I have actually been on a Nick Drake kick for the past few days, and though he only made three official albums (because he died in 1974 at age 26), every song is a gem. He had an ethereal voice, very soft and high. I don't know if you'd call him a tenor, per se, because it's almost like he's whispering the lyrics, but the effect is powerful, especially since he was a good lyricist too. He had a really simple approach, just fingerpicked guitar and voice. His producer did fill out a lot of songs with other instruments here and there, but it is the guitar and voice that stands out - minimalism, and because he was unique in all three of his musical ingredients - as a guitar player, a singer and a lyricist - the minimalism works to great effect.

When he died he was more or less unknown but in the time that has passed his music has become very popular.

I mention Nick Drake because of the minimalistic effect, heard also in classical music in composers like Eric Satie, or, more currently, Ludovico Einaudi. Elizabeth, I got to see him in concert two Summers ago (thanks to you), and all I can say is if he ever comes your way, do not miss him. He and his small orchestra were phenomenal and you would love them.

But yeah, minimalism can have a powerful hypnotic effect and really draw the listener in, on a very personal level.

I hope you have more projects lined up, and I hope you will keep working on your music as well.

So how do you feel about your first year out of college, and working as a pro? From my vantage point, things have gone very well indeed. My only advice right now is just to keep pressing forward, and keep your mind open to all kinds of creative ideas from The Muse.

Keep being original, and do not solicit too many outside opinions. You are in charge of your output. You want to brand yourself, even though you are just starting out, so that people will go, "I want Elizabeth to direct my video" (or do my fashion shoot, etc.) That's why I say to remember that you are the auteur, and the more you keep creative control, the more it will free your mind up to absorb all the ideas coming in from your Muse. It's just like working a muscle with weight training; the more you keep your head in that space, the more you will soak in it, and that kind of thinking will be with you all the time, an inner dialogue of curiosity and creativity.

You've got Mercury in Scorpio (where your psychic power comes from), so put it to great advantage.

That's all I know for tonight, Sweet Baby. Since I'm off, I'll be awake for a little while longer.....

I Love You. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment