Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Awesome 4th : Picnic, Beatles, Aliso, Fireworks, 9 Total, and.......A Sign.

Happy Super Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice 4th of July, and that you got to see some fireworks, and maybe a concert too. I hope you had a blast overall!  :)

I had a good day myself. This morning I went with Pearl and Helen and The Kobester out to Malibu Canyon. We tried Tapia Park, but because of the years-long drought, the picnic area was pretty dried out, and so the overall look of the place was more rustic and rugged, similar to the dry yellow straw grass in the "colors of Summer" photos I sometimes post. There is a grove of oak trees that I remembered, and it does look like a great place for trails and hikes, but not so much for a picnic. So, after some driving around and consultations with Siri, we found a nice green city park in Calabasas - Kardashian Country! - that was nestled in the Agoura Hills, which as described yesterday create the border between Malibu and the southwest San Fernando Valley. It was quiet and peaceful at the park - no Kardashians were there, just some kids playing ball - and our picnic was a success despite not winding up at our original destination.

When I got back home, at about 2:30, I chilled for awhile, then learned another Beatles song : "I Am The Walrus". In the John Lennon book I am reading, it says that he was always thinking of chord changes, even when The Beatles were in India visiting the Maharishi during their famous trip in 1968. He was always trying to top himself, and even though the chords themselves are simple (though they often used complex or multiple chordings for transitions), the end result of the song is astounding because of the order in which they are arranged. That, and the overlaying of the vocal melodies, as usual.

When you sit down and Google a Beatles song, and especially some of the masterpieces like "Lovely Rita" or "I Am The Walrus", when you start to play them you notice two things : 1) how relatively easy they are to play in stripped down form, as they were most likely written with just an acoustic guitar (the layers of genius sound design came later with the finished product by Sir George Martin), and the second thing you notice is : 2) That no one but Lennon or McCartney would have ever thought up these particular chord changes.

It's all in the arrangement, coupled with the melody and meter of the vocal line on top.

So easy to play and sing in rudimentary version on guitar. So hard to write and arrange to begin with.

Which is why those guys were musical geniuses.

At 7pm, I went up to Aliso yet again and did a full walk in twilight. Then I drove just down Rinaldi a couple miles to the Shepherd Of The Hills megachurch. I actually always park about a mile away, to avoid a traffic jam, but I walked to the site just in time for the fireworks. This was one of the best shows they've ever had, the whole sky was lit up with color and sparkle. The fireworks are accompanied by patriotic music, John Phillip Sousa and such, which adds to the feeling. It's always a huge crowd, but a good vibe with no drunk people or rowdies.

So that was my day, and I did another 9 miles total! That has been my standard for the last four days.

My God, what have I done? I may have created a Frankenstein. Now it will have a life of it's own, and it will expect me to continue to do nine miles, even on workdays......

Or not, haha. But I am glad I was able to do it for four days in a row.

This last part will sound like I am making it up, but I'm not. Tonight, at around 11pm, I needed to do a quick, short CSUN walk, just to make my nine miles. I only needed a mile and a quarter, so I walked down to the gym and back. 20 minutes.

There is a lawn just north of the gym, which lines the end of my street where it meets a dead end, That part of the campus is darker and less traveled than my usual route, but anyhow, as I passed that lawn I noticed a small, rounded and hunched shape not far off. As I got closer, I thought "hmmm..., it could be", and then as I got within about 15 feet I thought, "It's gotta be".

So I stopped, and it was : a Bunny, just like at Aliso Canyon, except this one was right there on the CSUN campus, three miles south.

I've seen raccoons on campus, and possums, and all kinds of geese and ducks, and even an owl or two.

But I've never before seen a Bunny. Tonight was my first.

It's gotta be a sign.

See you in the morn, SB. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment