Friday, July 1, 2016

Upcoming Concerts Rule + Tiny Apartment Does Not Rule + Aliso + "Naked City" : A Crime Classic

Happy Super Late Night, my Darling,

Tonight certainly qualifies as such. You will probably not be awake by the time I post this (unless you are editing, haha), but I'll try to write faster to make up the difference.  :)

I hope your day was good. I see you have another festival coming up later in the Summer : Taste Of Madison. Two of your bands are playing, 7SD and Stitched-Up Heart. That is super cool. And much more will happen between now and then, as the Summer is just getting started.

This morning, I hung around The Tiny Apartment, straightening the place up. It was much needed, and I have gotta get a bigger pad one of these years, because I just plain have Too Much Stuff to live in a unit as small as this one. With my job, I'm not here a lot anyway, but I just need more space for all my books, cds, and guitars so I don't have to constantly move stuff around when I wanna get into a closet or find a certain book or work on a drawing. I mean, I am in no way a pack rat, and my stuff would easily fit into a one bedroom with space to spare. And then I would be able to take all my old photo stuff out of the closet and digitize everything, put all my Meadows videotapes on dvd (a must, now that they are over 20 years old), and just generally go over what I have and see what's what.

Anyhow, all of these things will happen. I am tired of living by myself, and doing everything by myself, to be honest.

I did go for a full length hike at Aliso in the late afternoon, where I saw a silky spider web backlit against a tree. That was the pic I posted on FB. Actually, the one my brother fixed with added contrast is a better version because you can see the spider web in more detail. The spider himself (or herself) was only present for about 30 seconds. I saw the web, and was looking at the camera screen to take a photo, cause I love spider web photos as you know. Then all of a sudden a spider was in the frame. She must have come out to see what the commotion was about, crunching leaves and all. I had time to snap two quick pics before she scurried off again, and I only wish she had stayed in focus, too, but with macro photography, the auto focus tends to sharpen on what's closest, in this case the web. Still a good shot, though, and I am getting a lot of critters lately!  :)

Tonight I watched an all-time crime classic : "Naked City", on Criterion and directed by Jules Dassin. I knew the title mainly from a TV show of the same name that was spun off from the movie and aired in reruns late at night when I was a kid. The title sounded racy, but the movie is a straight up detective story, almost a noir but more like a documentary starring the City itself. We have talked about screenwriting, and I have bemoaned and tiraded on the current inability of most writers to fill even 90 minutes with an interesting story, when that used to be the norm in the days of classic screenplays.

Well, "Naked City" packs so much "happening" into 96 minutes, you feel like you are experiencing the events in real time, over the six days the story takes place. The movie never drags for a second, however. It just fills every minute with plot, character and action. Add to that great actors (and characters) of that era like Barry Fitzgerald, Howard Duff and good guy Don Taylor, and the fact that it won the Academy Award in 1948 for Best Cinematography (for William Daniels), and you have a Five Star Classic, a great great movie.

Other than that, just reading my John Lennon bio and SK Bain's exceedingly weird "Most Dangerous", and listening to Charles Ives' "Concord" sonata. It's gotta be classical if I'm reading; I can't "rock & read" for some reason.....

I liked your post, the photo of the "full Rainbow".

You knew I'd like that one.  :)

See you in the morning, SB. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment