Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Pokemon? Is it some kind of nationwide thing? + "Pride Of The Marines"

Hi Elizabeth,

Well, I don't know what is going on with all the Pokemon stuff, lol. I only saw one post from you today, of James' "Pokemon Van". It was funny, but I was wondering, "what's with all the Pokemon"? because yesterday you had two Pokemon posts. Maybe you posted other stuff today, too, but if so I didn't see it.

Anyhow, then this morning I saw a post from the Oviatt Library. I'm sure you remember The Oviatt, where I used to write from until June 2013 when I got my Chromebook. The Oviatt was posting about Pokemon, and now I was going, "ohhh, okay. It's some kind of national fad, like Hula Hoops or something".

I am not hip, you see.  :)

The last few nights at CSUN, I have seen something unusual. Normally when I go on my walk, the campus is more or less empty, even on school nights but especially in Summer. But ever since about Friday, I'd say, I have seen a lot of young people, students I assume, just walking along in groups of three or four. This would be between about 9 and 10 at night. I have wondered what the deal was. "What are we, UCLA now"?, with more of a Nightlife Scene, students enjoying the campus at night? I mean, we don't really have a "nightlife" type of neighborhood. And there have been no entertainment events on campus that I've been aware of.

But I've been seeing all these students, walking all up and down campus.

And then this Pokemon thing comes up, and you are posting about it, and then The Oviatt Library posts about it. And tonight, on my walk, the many groups of students all seem to be looking for something, or navigating something.

What is going on here? Is there some kind of National Live Action Pokemon Game taking place?

Now don't get me wrong, I have of course heard of Pokemon. My nephew was hooked to the gills as a small boy in the early 90s, and if I recall correctly, he had a card collection of Pokemon. But that's all I remember about it : collecting cards, and maybe action figures, little puff-ball type things.

But has it been turned into an outdoor game?

Anyhow, seeing all the students yet again tonight, I was thinking "aha! maybe I have figured it out", but you will have to tell me for sure if you feel like it.

Tonight I watched a classic movie from 1945 : "Pride Of The Marines" with John Garfield and Eleanor Parker, the story of a GI who is blinded during the battle of Guadalcanal, and how he deals with the aftermath. It had all the elements of war stories of that era : gung-ho patriotism, goofy camaraderie, sweet romance 1940s style, heavy fire battle scenes and tragic consequences. But this movie also had some extras : very realistic battle footage, showing the confusion of the Fog Of War, and also some great, unexpected political dialogue that is critical of the "feel good" rapture that surrounded the war. Soldiers then, like now, wondered if anybody gave a hoot about them when the fighting was over. Really an excellent movie.

Well, that's all I know, and I suppose I really don't know much, lol.

I hope your day was good.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment