Saturday, July 2, 2016

Santa Su Hike to Lilac Lane + Spahn Ranch + 9 Miles Total + Love

Happy Super Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your 4th Of July weekend is off to a good start. I didn't do much during the early part of the day, but at 3:30 I drove out to Santa Susana and went on a full-on hike all the way past the top of The Slide to where it comes out at a place called Lilac Lane, which is at the very top of the mountain.  From there, the trail keeps going toward Spahn Ranch and I followed it for another quarter mile. I've done this "long version" of my Santa Su "Slide Hike" before, and I posted pics in 2014, the first time I did it. Back then I was nervous on the Spahn Ranch trail because it is narrow and has a double drop off - on either side - but back then I was hiking in worn down sneakers and wasn't used to the heights. Now I have good boots and am more used to it, even though I still don't like the "double drop off" trails. I think I will soon try for a separate Spahn Ranch hike, starting from the Lilac Lane part of the trail (there is a parking lot there), just because it's not as scary as it was, and also because I have got to see, sooner or later, if I can find the infamous Manson Family rock, a giant boulder that some of them posed under for Life magazine, before the murders happened.

That's what Spahn Ranch was known for : The Manson Family. Because I was here when it happened, and just a few miles away, I have always been fascinated with that case, and have read many books about it. I don't know if I've ever told you this, but from my late teens to my mid-30s, I read books about many serial murderers and mass killers, including John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, The Hillside Stranglers, Richard Ramirez aka "The Night Stalker", whose final victim's house I drive past every day on my way to Pearl's.

Yeah, that was one of my "things", a fascination with these types of demons, and I read everything I could get my hands on. I probably should have been an FBI profiler. But anyway, it all started because of The Manson Family. They were so weird, and so horrible, and the trial got so much publicity, that it was riveting as well as scary. Which is why Manson himself became infamous - America's most notorious prisoner.

When I was on that part of the trail today, the part that leads to Spahn, I thought "screw those people". I thought, "this land is all about the Indians who were here for thousands of years, and their Great Spirit". And also it's about the land itself, and the critters and plants that inhabit it.

You can feel all of this when you are there.

But the fascination remains, and so just for history's sake, I will try to do a Spahn hike soon.

On a lighter note, I liked your post about "blazing your own trail". That was perfect, and it's the only way I know how to be. You are the same way.  :):)

I also saw your post of the I Prevail video, and I wondered if it was your work, but then I thought that you would have said as much, and I don't remember you mentioning working with them. But perhaps you will in the future.  :)

I also saw your post of Katie's pic. Has she relocated to Los Angeles? It's a good place to be. 

Later this eve I did my usual CSUN walk, too, so I did 9 miles for the day. Now I'm getting in shape!

No movie tonight, just reading and listening to music.

This is great having some days off. I am raring to go, and raring to sleep in.......and I will do both!

Starting tomorrow morn.

See you then, my Darling. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment