Sunday, November 17, 2013

November Is Beautiful (Storm) (weather.com) (Light)

I am just returning from an hour long CSUN dogwalk with the Kobester, and I saw the beautiful poem you posted, with the picture of the tranquil lake, and I just wanted to say............

I Love You, Elizabeth.

(gonna drop the doggie off and do some laundry, and will be back in a bit.....)

:):)

5:40pm: I'm at Pearl's, watching the news. I know you haven't been in the tornado zone, but I hope you are not getting clobbered by the overall storm. I will check weather.com. Hang in there, my Love. I'll be home at 6:45 and will check back in.........

7pm : It looks like you guys are not getting any extreme weather, at least according to weather.com. So, I am glad. On tv, they were talking about the Great Lakes area, and the Bears game in Chicago was suspended because of severe weather. You are what, about 100 miles away from Chicago? Or more importantly, far enough away from the lake to avoid the harshness. So all is well. :)  I will go for my walk at 8:30, then be back at the usual time. I Love You!  :):)

10:50 : I hope you had an enjoyable weekend and maybe had the chance to do something fun, like take photos. Mostly I hope everything is back on track. I predict we will have a wonderful holiday season, and that it will lead into an exciting New Year, which is only six weeks away now. Also........

.....somebody has a birthday coming up in a few days. :)

You will like turning 21, Elizabeth. It's a great age, and though numbers are arbitrary, this one confers total adulthood (whatever that means, lol). I guess what I mean is that, very simply, it is super cool to turn 21!

I always thought so, anyway, and I remember that sense of turning : from 19 into 20, and 20 felt special, maybe just because I have always been a numbers person. But then, 21 was 21.

For some reason, society chose that number as The Biggie, and so it really does feel special when you reach it. It feels like you have come through a special door, and are now a New You, with extra powers. You'll see.

Driving to Pearl's in the afternoons since the time change, I am noticing the quality of November light, very special and unique, and different even from the previous months light of October and September. Probably because of the angle of the Sun, this is when the backlighting begins. During late Spring and through Summer months, we get a lot of even-set lighting from directly overhead. In photography, I think Summer reflects the influence of the Sun itself. The light is golden and beautiful, and everything is awash in light. But when you get to September (and this is all from my perspective in Southern California, but may be true for you, too), you start to notice a reddish filter in the early evenings; what I call Roselight. Then in October, that quality turns starker, more outlined. It loses it's softness. October is about shadows and patterns, I can't put a color to it. But then, in November, comes the sidelighting. That's what I have noticed in the past few days on my drives to Pearl's in the afternoon. Here in the Valley, we have lots of trees, and though they don't have the fiery fall colors of the midwest and east, they do turn colors that are beautiful and rustic in their own way. And at certain times of the afternoon - just for an hour - those colors are sidelit. So in November, what is special about the light is that the Sun becomes a "support player" rather than the major influencer of color as it was in Summer. In November, it becomes painterly, and shines through nature rather than on it. The colors of nature are what is highlighted, in a rust orange light. The November light is quick to change, so you have to be ready for it, but it can help to produce some great photographs at specific times of the day.

We will have a great week ahead, my Angel. I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment