Sunday, November 10, 2013

Wisconsin Movies (more added)

Happy Sunday, my Baby,

I'm just getting back home from doing the Kobester CSUN thing. He always has such a blast up there, then when I get him home he passes out. Then he will be re-energized when I go back at 4:30. He will greet me with a flurry of barks.

Now to tidy up the pad and engage in a little more Cricket Control. I still haven't defeated the pesky things yet, but their appearances have at least dwindled, thank goodness. But, a little perimeter control is in order. I hope your day is going well. That post of the cow in front of the building and your comment, "So Wisconsin", reminded me of one of my favorite movies. It is called "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes". Now, I don't think that many people would know about that movie nowdays - it was made in 1945 - but it really is a classic in an old-fashioned way. It stars Edward G. Robinson as the head of a Norwegian family who have a farm in Wisconsin. Margaret O'Brien co-stars as his little daughter. She was a great child actress, my Mom loved her movies which is how I heard about this one. Anyway, it is a simple story about a family and their farm. Then nature intervenes and causes a crisis for the family, but basically it is the kind of old fashioned film they don't make anymore, but they should! So there is a Wisconsin movie for you.

Another one I discovered earlier this year by accident. It was way back in January, I think. Sometimes I will drive to other nearby libraries in search of movies I haven't seen, and at one of 'em (can't remember which) I found a movie called "Come And Get It". This one was even earlier, from 1936, but I love old movies so I checked it out. Also, it starred Frances Farmer, an actress who became legendary because of her rebellion against the forces of Hollywood (which ruined her life, but that's a long story. They made a movie of it, called "Frances", which won Jessica Lange an Oscar). There aren't too many movies available with Frances Farmer, and this one was directed by Howard Hawks, a very great director who was from Goshen, Indiana (just like my Dad), so that was another connection. I didn't know what it was about, but when I popped it in the player I discovered it was very interesting. It was the story of a man in Wisconsin who started out as a lumberjack, and wound up as the head of the logging industry there. I think it was set in northern Wisconsin, but they used some stock footage of real logging operations from the time, and there were a lot of location shots from the area. It was another movie of the type they don't make anymore, but they should.

And, it was also set in Wisconsin. I guess logging was an enormous industry there at one time, one which built huge fortunes for a few men.

Anyway, there are two Wisconsin movies for you, and one of them is one of my all-time favorites.  :)

I will be back in a little bit. Enjoy your afternoon!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:10pm : I am listening to the Brahms piece I just posted. I was looking for a version I heard today on KUSC by Emanuel Ax that was just sublime, but this one is good too. All in all, a nice quiet Sunday evening. I hope you enjoyed yours as well. I Love You.      xoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment