Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Good Morning to Sweet Baby (back home) (decipherment)

Good Morning, my Darling,

I am gonna be heading out to Glendale in a few minutes to see my sister Sophie and take her shopping, so I just wanted to say hi before I left, and I Love You. I hope your day is off to a good start. I will be back at home in the 1:30pm range.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

2:20 : I'm back, Beautiful Lady. Got home a little while ago. It was nice to see Sophie. We just did the usual shopping (for her) at a few local stores in Glendale, then I came home and picked Pearl up from her crafts meeting. I saw your post, and I am soooo glad it's warmed up a bit. I hope you have a chance to get outside and have some fun, take photos if you want to, do whatever. Now, I did look at the 10-day forecast (that's part of my job description as The Guy Who Loves Lou - ;) ), and........oy.........I'm sure you already know this, but it looks like the temp is gonna go back down in a few days.

But - and I am putting this in bold just to serve notice on the cold weather :

Don't get any ideas about trying to start up that arctic stuff again. That vortex is toast, do you hear me?! It's toast!

So, that oughta take care of that. But enjoy the warmer temps today and for the next few, and then the hell with that cold snap for a few days, and then the temps will rise again.

Today I quadruple Love You (love, love, love ------Love!), and I hope you are enjoying your afternoon. I'm gonna do some dishes, then go for the afternoon part of my walk, then back to Pearl's at 4:30. But I'll be around more or less most of the time.

My Angel.   xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:10pm : I am reading about all these ancient texts in Joe's "Cosmic War", and I am reading about the decipherment (a technical term you probably know from linguistics) of the texts. The translations were made possible, apparently, because when these tablets and scrolls were discovered, mostly in the last 200 years or so, there was someone around who still understood a little bit of the ancient language, be it Akkadian or whatever. I am still a little unclear on the concept, though I take the translations at face value. But what I wonder.........well, you had mostly Western archeologists who discovered these things, and Western scholars who attempted the first translations. But if all they had for a "key" was a descendant of Assyrian culture, who understood the language but could not read it.......then how did they ascribe the sounds of the language to the hieroglyphic symbols? I've been Googling but cannot find an answer that explains it for me. To me, it would be as if - 10,000 years in the future - somebody found books written in English, and they had no idea what the symbols (the alphabet) meant. But they located a person who still understood the ancient language and asked his help. However - he was illiterate. He understood English but could not read nor write it.

How could he help them to translate it? That's what I am not getting about the Mesopotamian transcriptions I am reading about. I mean, I trust the translators. But I just don't understand the process from which they got these amazing stories out of a bunch of similar-looking squiggly lines (cuneiforms).

I am a monkey-see, monkey-do kind of guy, and I'd love to sit down with one of these people and have him or her show me the process.

Well, anyhow......

I hope you had a nice evening, and I see you are gonna be working on another movie project soon, so that is great. It says "48 hours", but I suppose there's no rule against developing ideas beforehand. You guys could allow for the various categories and come up with general ideas for each. Sketches. Then, when you do the actual drawing, and you select a category, you already have an idea ready to go.

Is that cheating? I dunno. But nobody would know........ ;)

That's all I know for tonight, my Angel. I am gonna listen to a little more Frescobaldi, and then go to sleep.

And I will be dreaming Sweet Dreams, too, just like you.

I Love You, Elizabeth.  xoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment