Thursday, December 11, 2014

Late Thursday Afternoon Love (films)

Hi, my Darling,

Another busy one today, which is why it took me so long to post. Pearl was at the hair salon for a long time, getting a perm, so I just got home a few minutes ago. I took the Kobester to Reseda Park in the interim, to see the Canada Geese. It's still not raining, but tonight it's supposed to pour, and then all day tomorrow. Tonight is the final P&P film for this semester's Cinematheque. Actually, this one features only one "P"; director Michael Powell. He and Pressberger had stopped working together by this point. The movie is called "Peeping Tom", and it's supposed to be a classic, and also extremely creepy. We've really had a great year with the CSUN film retrospectives, starting with last semester's Satyajit Ray series, and now with Powell & Pressburger, which has been my favorite series so far.

I see that you guys are gonna start your trip soon. It looks like an awesome itinerary. You asked for suggestions, and I'd of course say London and Liverpool, but it looks like you are staying on the Continent. I am glad you are going to Prague! That's supposed to be the most picturesque Old World city, and also Vienna will be awesome, home to Mozart and Mendelssohn and so many other composers. Go to an opera at the Vienna Opera House! I know you'll probably only be in each city for a couple days, but you never know......  :)

I guess you are still doing finals, now, because you say your trip will start "soon", so post before you leave if you get a chance. Because I got a late start today, and because it's already Late Night, I will send you Sweet Dreams now, and also lots of love, and then I will write again when I get back from the movie. When I get to Pearl's, she's probably gonna want to do more Christmas cards. We're doing all the Minnesota ones first.

We need to send one to Wisconsin, too.  :):)

Or maybe to Prague.  :):)

I Love You, Elizabeth! Sleep well, and I'll see you after the movie, around 11:30pm...

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

11:55pm : Good Morning, my Baby. Well, that was quite a twisted little movie! Kind of a British "Psycho", in a way, and it is interesting that both films came out in the same year, 1960. "Peeping Tom" is a real surprise, coming from Michael Powell - he of "The Red Shoes" and "A Canterbury Tale" - but it does have all his cinematic and technical trademarks of detailed settings, color schemes, involving camera work, and getting the most from his actors. But this film is a straight-up horror film, with slasher film elements. I won't give any spoilers, but the ending is classic and truly weird. Available on Criterion.......

And so ends another year at The Armer Theater at CSUN. We've been doing it since 2009 (hard to believe because of the weird fluctuations of the passage of time), and so far we've seen retrospectives of Jean-Luc Godard, Federico Fellini, Luis Bunuel, Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, Michelangelo Antonioni, Francois Truffaut, Krzysztof Kieslowski, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Satyajit Ray, and Powell & Pressburger. Over 150 films total. Next up, in January : the films of Yasujiro Ozu.

Super tired tonight. Hope to get some sleep, and then tomorrow there are no appointments, so I can have an easy day.

I hope it was a great day for you as well, and I will see you in the morning.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment