Thursday, April 2, 2015

Gigs (Valley, Ozu, etc.)

Hi, Sweet Baby,

Happy Thursday. I'm just back from Pearl's hair appointment. I see your posts - that is cool that Vaskula is playing. Are you gonna sing with them? I read the review from Chicago Reader and your name is mentioned from the EP. It says that Johan (I guess going by John now) is on vocals, but maybe you are gonna sing the songs you're on? If so, super cool! Somebody could video it, and that would be even cooler.  :)

Well, I don't know if you are singing or not, but I'd guess you are at least gonna go to the show, so have fun. And have fun at your other show on Saturday night. Are you friends with one or more of the bands? Or maybe just a fan of 'em. Always fun to go to a rock club, in any case.

Speaking of singing, I too will be "playing live" tomorrow night, lol. :)

My gig is at a club called the Reseda First United Methodist Church. We play at 7pm. My group is called The Choir. We will be doing a short set, just three songs, but they are all from the cantata "Out Of The Shadows" by John Purifoy. I've been practicing all week in my car (singing while driving) so I don't screw up. We will also be playing another gig at the same venue on Easter Sunday morning. Another four songs from the same cantata.

Funny stuff. But it actually would be super cool if you are singing in Chicago, perhaps at 10pm, which would be 7pm here in California, and right at the same time I am singing in choir. Have a blast, whatever the case, and I will too.  :):)

Well, I am gonna go for part of my walk in a few minutes, and then head back to Pearl's. Tonight is movie night and we are gonna see Ozu's "Equinox Flower", his first film in color. He made 54 films in black & white before he tried color. Wow. That's another reason I like him so much. But I like color too (of course) and I am looking forward to seeing another Ozu film that I know nothing about in advance.

I will be around at Pearl's from 4:30 to 6:30, and then back later at apprx. 10:30. Enjoy your early evening!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

Midnight : Happy Late Night, my Darling. I saw your posts a little while ago, and I see I've got it right. The Alex Harper photos were taken in Studio City (aka "The City Of Studios" as per Seinfeld, lol). Studio City is at the southeast end of the Valley (about 15 miles from me), right near the intersection of Ventura Boulevard and Laurel Canyon, which is a road you can take, instead of the freeway, to get to Hollywood. The house and fence in those pictures definitely looked Valley, and I was originally gonna say Sherman Oaks, which is the town right next door to Studio City. Keep in mind once again that all these towns, including Hollywood, are all part of the City Of Los Angeles. We have something like 32 towns in the Valley alone, but municipally speaking, they are all part of L.A. At any rate, good job on the Studio City photos by your friend. :)

Tonight's film, "Equinox Flower" was excellent. When I say that, I would add the qualifier that you have to really be attuned to Ozu's films, and especially his pacing. These films are pretty much the polar opposite of what is produced nowdays, and I am not making a judgement, just stating the reality. Not a lot happens in Ozu's films, but much is discussed, and much, much is felt. Every shot is composed to the hilt. The actors have all been rehearsed and directed to each and every vocal inflection they will make, to each tilt of the head, everything - right down to the way they will exit a room.

You have to have patience to watch Ozu. There will be no explosions, no "plot" per se. No mystery. Just very simple story lines - and these story lines repeat, in different ways, in film after film - about why a daughter doesn't want to get married. That particular issue is huge in Ozu's films. Almost all issues revolve around family. Men go to bars and drink, while women stay home and fret but get things done. And everybody talks and talks, and discusses, and every single frame is ultra-composed, and so is every single action and movement of every actor. Ozu's films are unique, and very far removed from what today's moviegoer, on average, would consider to be his or her cup of tea.

So why is Yasujiro Ozu considered by many to be one of the greatest filmmakers of all time (with myself now included in that group)?

I can't give you a specific reason and I don't want to, because words won't do Ozu justice. His films are too subtle for that. I would just say "see them", but if you do, be prepared, because you need patience. If you have that, once you get into The World Of Ozu, the rewards are great. These are films - and actors - you will never forget.

That's all I know for tonight, my Baby. Tomorrow will be a lot of errands in the daytime (and I am praying as I write that Pearl will sleep through til morning, so that I'll be rested), and after about 1pm or so, I should be home, at which point I am off til next Thursday, with the exception of my gigs!

You have your concerts the next two days as well. Let me know if you are singing, too. If not, then simply enjoy the show, and on Saturday night too. But of course I'll talk to you before then. I will check in tomorrow, sometime before the Good Friday service.

Sweet Dreams, Sweet Baby. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment