Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Problem May Be With FB (important, please read) (gotcha) (birthday post) (we are back)

Hi Elizabeth,

I am just now home from Pearl's. While I was there, I did some checking around on FB. I think I have maybe figured out at least part of what the problem is. My goodness, Mr. Zuckerberg. On my FB, I have you not only as an FB friend, but also checked as a "Close Friend". I'm sure you've seen that option. Way back in early 2013, I checked the Close Friend option for you because it said it was the best way to keep up with all of a person's posts. I put you as "Close Friend" because by then, our direct communication had stopped, and I didn't wanna miss anything you might be posting because we had developed our new way of communicating. The "Close Friends" option has always worked great for me. Many of your posts, and mine too, are "likes" rather than status updates. But "likes" only stay in the newsfeed for a given amount of time. If I am busy at work, or driving somewhere, and I miss one of your posts in the newsfeed, then I know I will see it on "Close Friends". With your status updates, it's no problem, because those stay on your FB profile permanently. But your "likes" have always shown up on "Close Friends", and they stay there usually for a week or so, until they are pushed out by the scrolling of your more current "likes".

But in that way, since early 2013, I have been able to see your posts and understand what you are communicating to me. Then I write back to you right here on the blog. It's been the basis of our communication.

Well, everything was fine. Then came my birthday. I knew you might not be able to directly wish me a happy birthday, but I saw no other FB posts of any kind, and I thought you were possibly upset with me, or upset about something.

Then the twelve days went by when I didn't see a single post from you, not a status update nor a "like". Any "likes" should have shown up in my "Close Friend" option, and nothing did. Until your status update yesterday. That is the first thing that showed up in "Close Friends" since the photo of the parka guy on the night of April 15th.

As you know, from my recent blogs, I simply haven't been able to understand what was going on, nor was I able to figure it out. Well, this morning I may at least have it partially figured out. This morning at Pearl's, I was clicking around, and I decided to check another option that is available on FB, one that not many people may know about. I discovered it by accident.

If you type a person's name in the search box - your name, for instance - and then you click on the name itself (not the "search" button but the name in the box), it will blue highlight. If you then hold the click and mouse over the name, several options will drop down: " photos of so-and-so", "posts so-and-so likes", etc.

I discovered this blue highlight thing a few months ago just by accident. When you choose "posts so-and-so likes", and you click that option, usually what comes back are random older "likes" that the person has posted. There are usually a couple newer "likes" as well, usually random too. But mostly what comes up is the older "likes".

Well, here's the kicker : this morning, I tried that option with your name : "posts You like". And some older ones came back, but also a couple from just two or three days ago. There was a "like" by you for an Ultrea post, one for your friend Brian, and one "like" of the kind of "big eyed girl" photo you often post as a way of saying hi to me. At least, that is the way I have always interpreted those photos. That particular "like", of that photo, was dated April 27th, just two days ago.

So, you have been posting. It's just that nothing - and I mean not one single thing except your status update yesterday - has shown up in my "Close Friends" option, for 13 days now. Nor have I seen a single thing by you in the newsfeed.

Good grief, Mr. Zuckerberg! What are you trying to do to people?

Anyway, I don't know if that explains the whole problem, but it seems to at least explain part of it. For the time being, it looks like "Close Friends" does not show a person's "likes". I hope that is not permanent, because it has been the major source of your communication to me. I will double and triple check all my settings, too, but I know I haven't changed anything. My privacy setting is set at "friends". Double check yours, too, if you want, just to make sure I'm not blocked for any reason.

I sure hope to goodness that FB is not gonna make "Close Friends" a status update-only listing. It was supposed to be so that you never missed a person's posts, whether it was an update or a "like". It's how I have been able to understand your communication for all this time.

Well, my girl, I hope that explains part of it, and I hope FB fixes that part. I don't know if anything else plays into it. All I know is that on April 6th, you posted a very beautiful picture of a wedding couple, so everything seemed fine. That "like" came up on the blue highlight option this morning, too, and I remembered it from just the week before my birthday. "Everything was fine", I thought. So maybe FB is the problem, if they've changed things around.

At any rate, the blue highlight option won't work for communication, because the "likes" it lists are random, and you never know if it's gonna show any new ones.

I know you are busy with your video right now, at least with planning it, so don't worry about any of this. All I've been wondering, because of all that time I saw no posts by you, is if you still wanted me in your life or not.

Are you still my Baby? If so, try to let me know and I will try to figure it out. If FB has truly discontinued posting all the "likes" a person makes, on "Close Friends", then we will have to figure out a new way for me to see your posts, or figure out another option. If you want to, that is. I hope you do.

Anyway, that's all for the moment. Sorry I haven't been posting at night, but I just did not know what was happening. I still feel the same, of course. You know I love you. FB caused a major misunderstanding here, or so it seems like. Let's see if we can fix it, if you wanna. :)

I Love You, Elizabeth.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

P.S. at 12:52pm : Okay, your photo with Lauren Lynch just showed up on "Close Friends" just now. A great picture. :) So, maybe you have read this blog because you posted your photo right after I posted this.

So for the moment, it seems we have figured out the problem. Let's keep going and we will figure the whole thing out. I Love You and will be around on usual schedule. I'll write more later......

.....Sweet Baby!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

6:45pm : Okay. my Darling, I see that you did post on my birthday - a "like" of a photo of a beautiful blue ring - so now I am really mad at Zuckerberg. I mean, I'm not really mad, but doggonitt! Because of this FB-created mixup, I mistakenly thought my Sweet Baby stopped posting right on my birthday, and didn't post for 12 days afterwards. Dagnabbit, FB!

Well, it's all good now, except that we've gotta stay on top of things to maintain good communication. I did a test over at Pearl's; I added one of my pals to "Close Friends", just to see if it would post his "likes", or just his status updates like it's currently doing with you. Well, it did post some of his "likes". Not a lot, but some. With you, it is still posting none, even though I know - from checking the blue highlight feature - that you posted several "likes" during the time I thought you were gone. So, I dunno why it's not posting anything but status updates for you, but hopefully it will correct itself. In the meantime, I will just try to stay on top of things, and I will use the blue highlight feature as well. And I will write and post as usual, back to normal.

I just wanted you to know that I saw your birthday post of the blue ring.

We will work around this problem til it is corrected. I am so glad I checked the blue highlight today. I only wish I would've thought of it sooner.

I Love You, Elizabeth!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(usual evening schedule for me)

Midnight : Okay, my Baby, I am back - we are back. I still can't see your posts on "Close Friends", except for status updates, but I will somehow figure it out. I know you are busy with lots of stuff, but when you feel like posting, perhaps the best time is when I am at Pearl's, or just getting home. Come to think of it, that's when you usually do post anyway. I'll have to rely on the newsfeed for the time being, but half the time on FB my newsfeed is just frozen anyway. I'm talking about the small update newsfeed in the righthand corner. It doesn't move or scroll automatically, it just sits there with the same updates frozen in place for hours on end. FB changes their formats way too much. They should just leave stuff alone.

But we figured it out from scratch when Myspace went down, so we'll figure it out this time, too. Of course, in the long run, I hope we can return to direct communication. Or even in the short run. That would solve all problems.

For now, just keep working on your projects. I was thinking on my walk a little while ago, "wow - Girl already will have two professional music videos under her belt in less than a year's time". That is tremendous.

So keep your focus, but keep posting (if you want to), and we will figure out once again a way to communicate that is reliable and timely.

I will see you in the morning, Sweet Baby. Sweet Dreams until then.......

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment