Sunday, June 7, 2015

Mercury Hours (plural) + Love (sweet dreams & autochrome)

Good Evening, Sweet Baby,

Just checking in to say hi and see how your Sunday has been. Today seemed like The Mercury Hour all day for me, lol. I talked on the phone to Mike B. (he's my FB friend, too), whom I haven't seen since 1990. I've known Mike since 1970, he was the first kid I met when my family moved to the Rathburn Avenue house in Northridge. Over the years, we did a lot of stuff together : beach trips, many, many concerts, and just all kinds of stuff. Mike worked his whole life in the film industry, and I am the guy who got him into the biz. First, my Dad got me a job at the Metrocolor lab in 1979, and I got Mike in a few months after I started. He wound up making a career out of it, and went from being a film developer as I was, to working in color timing and making negative transfers and all kinds of advanced stuff. Mike was telling me today that, over the years, he wound up working with cinematographers like Roger Deakins and Vittorio Storaro. The DPs always work closely with the lab guys during post-production, to ensure that the film and color comes out exactly as they'd designed it to look. So it was cool for me to hear that, knowing I gave Mike his start.

We talked for three hours! So, that was the start of The Mercury Hour....

Then I discovered that Grimsley had left me a million messages while I was talking, and then finally, my friend Ryan (The Prime Minister) came by to pick up the Kiss movie I ordered for him, "Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park". We wound up talking for an hour as well, so now I am all talked out, and The Mercury Hour is over. Left to my own devices, I am not a big talker myself, or at least not a big conversation starter. But my friends can do some Serious Talking, and then I get going too, and then the next thing you know......

Mercury Hour.  :)

Choir was good this morn. We sang a Spiritual : "I'm Gonna Sing When The Spirit Says Sing". I got to belt it out on the "tenor only" section.......

I hope you had a great day. I am gonna go for half my walk and then just chill and do some reading, maybe watch a show or a movie but just generally keep things low key for the evening. I will be back at the usual time to write more.

I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

(back in a bit)

12:15am : Happy Late Night, my Darling. My friend Mike send me a link to a UK article about a photographer named Etheldreda Laing, who lived about 100 years ago. She shot in color, and of course I had never heard of color photography from that far back, but it's pretty amazing looking. Here's the link:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/photography/11643104/Etheldreda-Laing-portraits-from-a-pioneering-photographer.html

The process she used was not color film (which didn't exist then) but a filter made from potato starch (yep!) that broke the incoming light down to colors which then were projected onto the photographic plate in the camera. Plates came before film. Anyhow, the process was called Autochrome, and I had never heard of it before tonight. It wasn't cheap, few photographers used it apparently, but take a look at those colors. I think they are amazing, so natural, yet rich, like an early version of Technicolor which is also based on a dye transfer tri-color process. Great stuff!

Well, Sweet Baby, it's been a busy and talkative day. Tomorrow I will have a full sleep-in, and not have to wake up early like I did for church today, so I should get some major league rest (although I will no doubt have nightmares because LeBron's Cavs won tonight's game - oy!).

Then tomorrow I can wake up with my head on straight.

I Love You, Elizabeth! Sleep well, and have Sweet Dreams.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

Remember that You Rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment