Saturday, August 8, 2015

Santo, SK & Shakespeare

Hi, Sweet Baby,

Happy Super Late Night. I hope you had a nice day and maybe a fun Friday evening. You are probably getting ready for your video shoot. I did not end up going on a hike. I was kinda tired because last night the sleep situation was not the greatest, but I will make up for it by doing two hikes next week. Gotta stay in hiking shape, after all. :)

What I did today instead was to just relax, and I tried to watch the Santo movie I just posted on FB : "Santo vs. Frankenstein". The problem was that it didn't have subtitles. I still tried to watch, thinking that I got the gist of the Shakespeare plays even though much of the fast, Old English dialogue went right past me, so maybe I could just watch the Santo movie and get the gist from the imagery, while absorbing - if not understanding - the Spanish dialogue. This approach worked for about a half hour, and then I gave up. Too many subplots that I couldn't decipher, and it was too bad because as I said on FB, it looked like one of the better Santo movies.

Now, I know you are thinking I'm a complete goofball for watching Santo in the first place, so I should explain that I got hooked on his movies as a teenager. They used to show 'em on TV on a Saturday afternoon, and on American TV he was called "Samson", but I remember watching for the first time, and here was this guy, a Mexican wrestler wearing a silver mask, and he was some kind of good guy Superhero who drove around in a Jaguar and fought monsters. In the first movie I saw, he was going after a cave full of Vampire Women. They had henchmen he had to wrestle, and that was the catch - whoever he was trying to stop, he would do so by wrestling them. The Santo movies are beyond cheesy and campy, but there is also something kinda cool about them.......I even have "Santo vs. The Vampire Women" on dvd. :)

And "Santo vs. Frankenstein" looked great, but I gave up because I couldn't understand what was going on, and I read my Stephen King book instead.

In a minor coincidence, there was a scene of wrestling in last night's Shakespeare play, "As You Like It". While watching, I found myself thinking, "Gee, I didn't know they had wrestling in the 17th century". There's that "time" thing again. The 17th century was 400 years ago, so it's gotta be ancient. Even though 400 years is only 20 generations, or "20 grandpas", as I call it. That's really not so many.

So 400 years ago is nothing, if you take away the technology.

Shakespeare might have liked Santo, too, had he been around today. Just sayin'. :)

Well, Sweet Baby, all is quiet, and we will head into the weekend with good prospects. You in particular are gonna knock your video out of the park, as always.

Sweet Dreams until morning, and I will see you then.

I Love You, Elizabeth!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment