Friday, January 8, 2016

Film Is Awesome

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I liked your photo this morning! Film - I Love It! Right away, what you notice is the grain, and that texture, that realness of film. I know I'm biased, and it's kind of funny because I've taken so many digital pics now myself over the last four years that they seem normal to me. And I love digital photography, which is advantageous in so many ways.

But when I see a film picture - a new one like yours - I get all excited about it again, because it is what I grew up on and used until 2012. And, it was the standard for.......over 160 years! (including daguerreotypes). And I think film will always have a niche market, like vinyl for records. Hopefully it will have a niche in movies, too, like with Tarantino's new one. Not a huge QT fan myself, but I am glad he champions film, and 70mm to boot!  :)

With your photo today, that is exactly the kind of picture I like because it has mystery. The wooden door, and even moreso -the dark window - hint at something. And then both are framed by the larger "door" of the outer shrubbery.

The thing with digital - and this is not a complaint, just an observation - is that it has made taking pictures very easy, because the camera does so much for you. With film, the camera still did a lot, just by the mechanics of it (viewfinder, lens, shutter), but you still had to load and wind film, set shutter speeds and f-stops, and you had to focus every shot. Also (and I've mentioned this before), you only had 20 or 36 shots per roll. Now you can pop off that many in a few minutes.

What film did was to give you a discipline in your choice of shot (excluding people like news or sports photogs who used motor drives even back then), and for me, that has carried over into my digital photography. I still wanna make sure everything looks "just so" in the frame before I take a pic. But I still shoot millions of photos now, compared to the days of film.......

Mostly I miss that look.....that grain and realism.

Maybe film will have a big enough "niche comeback" where it won't cost 20 bucks to get a roll of pictures back from the lab (or local drugstore). I would love to be able to shoot both film and digital on a regular basis.

Well, now you have inspired me to finally finish that roll of b&w I've got in my Pentax ME since 2014.....

Let it be said once again :  (1)....(2).....(3).......Film!

It's pretty awesome.  :)

No rain today, but still mighty chilly. We haven't gotten the usual on and off days of 75 to 80 degree weather that we get in January. This time it's been Straight Cold since early December.

I saw another post from The Archers today, so they must be your next video. You seem to have a connection to WJJO, so that is great. I also saw a post from a dog who appears to be a DJ at that station. Um......I suppose I shouldn't comment on that one, haha, but he seems to be quite the rogue.  :)

And of course your friend James is a natural born comedian ( and I must concur on pizza, which I basically lived on for a decade or two).....

.....and tacos, too.  :)

Well, that's all I know for tonight.  Except for that film is awesome.

I will see you in the morning.  I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):) 

No comments:

Post a Comment