Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Nothing Ever Dies

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Not much to report today, it was just all about Bowie, reading all the posts and tributes and reflecting on his life as it related to all of ours. That clip I posted from "The Elephant Man" is, for me, one of the most beautiful and reassuring scenes in movie history, as John Merrick (The Elephant Man) removes the neck-stabilizing pillows from his bed so he can sleep like a "normal" person for the first time in his life. He does so knowing it will kill him, causing him to choke, and as he passes from this world into the next, he sees the image of his mother, who tells him "nothing ever dies".

In the movie, which is one of David Lynch's best, that final scene blows you away and you'd better have a box of Kleenex handy. I chose it because of that last line, and because David Bowie starred as "The Elephant Man" in Denver of all places, when it was still a stage play. That was how many people heard of it, including me. This was probably in 1979. I had never heard of John Merrick, and Bowie was playing him without any makeup. I remember reading a review that talked about the way he contorted his body throughout the performance......

Lynch immortalised the story in film, and I always remembered that line - "nothing ever dies" - because it is what I believe (am certain of), and it was appropriate on this day, for a man who affected so many people.

A basic Monday for me. Tomorrow will be Golden Agers, the first one they've had since before Christmas, so I am gonna try to get a hike in. Maybe at Rice Canyon. The trail will probably be pure mud, so I don't know how far I'll get, but it will be fun to find out.

I hope your day was good and that all projects are going well, and that your year is off to a good start in general.

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment