Saturday, January 23, 2016

Kobi Is Ailing (no news is hopefully good news + "Great Expectations")

Hi, my Darling,

I am checking in early today because I have some unfortunate news to report. This morning at 7am I got a call from Pearl's daughter, who reported that Kobi had a seizure last night. She had heard some noise and had found him shaking and foaming at the mouth, and she and Pearl took him to the vet immediately. Luckily, there is a 24 hour emergency vet located nearby.

I got down there at about 8am and joined them. Kobi was off in another room, hooked up to an IV. The vet came in and said his blood samples looked good, his heart looked good, x-rays were okay. But he said there could be an underlying condition such as a brain tumor. Because an MRI costs thousands of dollars, we really can't check to find out, and after all, Kobi is sixteen years old.

We left him at the vet and I came home about 11am. Then at Noon, Helen called me again to say that the vet had called her to tell her that Kobi had had another seizure. Because he was hooked up to the IV, they were able to inject medication and get in under control pretty quickly.

But as you can see, the news overall is not good. I have been very sad and worried all morning. Now, I have done some Googling, specifically about Bischons and seizures, and I have found some info that is mildly encouraging. It says that seizures are not uncommon in the breed, and especially in older Bischons. It further said that is an underlying cause can be determined, it can be treated and the seizures handled at home with medication. All kinds of potential causes were listed, including toxins from diet, and one cause in particular made me take notice: it was said that a trip to the groomer can even cause a seizure in an older Bischon.

I had just taken our buddy to the groomer yesterday. It said that, in older Bischons, it may be the combination shock from first being wet and then from the noise of the dryer that causes their brain mechanics to seize up. Now, it is true that Kobi is sixteen, already a very elderly doggie. And he does move a lot slower than he did, and he does act disoriented sometimes and wanders around. But even just last evening, before I left to come home, he devoured a bowl of dog food with his usual gusto and then went on a catwalk with me and The Black Kitty. He has been to Lake Balboa just last week, and had a blast there.

So, because I am reading that seizures can be treated - even in older dogs - I am gonna, for now, hang tough for The Kobester and have faith that he will pull through. I sure love that little guy so much (as of course does Pearl); he is part of Our Crew and he's just the best guy in the world.

I know he won't be around forever, and according to the vet he's already outlived the life expectancy for the breed, but I am gonna say my prayers and hope that maybe we can treat the seizures and have him back home for just a while yet. He is so strong in so many other ways.......

So even though you've never met Kobi, say a little prayer for him and keep him in your heart today, won't you? Thanks, Sweet Baby, and I'll keep you posted, though no news will be good news for now. And I'll write later tonight as always.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

12:20am : Happy Late Night, my Darling. I have no more news on Kobi, which I am hoping will be a good thing. I am slightly encouraged by the Google information I've read today. I know from experience that when things start to go wrong with older doggies, that their time is probably limited. Kobi is 16, which in itself is amazing. Still, I've been praying a lot today that he can come home and be okay for a while, how ever long that might be. I am reading about the meds for seizures, and they are said to work pretty well. It would be so great just to have him with us for as long as possible, and it would be less of a sudden shock for Pearl, who is gonna be 92 herself later in the year. Both Pearl and Kobedog have been so strong all this time, age or no age..........

I haven't been through the loss of a pet since 1997 and today, with the sudden news (which came out of the blue because, though elderly, he has been more or less his "old self") I was suddenly immersed in all the tremendous sadness that comes with the fear of losing such a beloved friend. It hit me just how close I am to The Good Boy (and I even tell Pearl that he's a Professor Of Goodboyism who teaches classes on the subject to other dogs when we aren't home)........and I'm just not prepared to lose him, not yet, and not so suddenly.

So, please Lord, let him come home for a while, however long that might be, for a Victory Tour. He is such a wonderful dog.

I hope your day was good. I did see some posts, one was of your friends in the snow, so maybe you are enjoying it too. :)

I also saw the post of the El Salvadoran baby. I heard about that on the news and it's really sad. I am guessing you meant it as a Sweet Baby post (and it might have been the only available baby picture), but if you didn't, I understand. I was a little confused because it says something about "a pause in having babies" and I don't know if that was a message for me or not. At any rate, I am thinking about you and just trying to go forward and hold things together.

Tonight I watched a tremendous film, David Lean's 1946 version of "Great Expectations". I'm continuing my Charles Dickens kick, and this movie was pure magic, and a nice diversion from the day's events. David Lean was one of the great directors of epic stories, and as a guy who could fill the screen with cinematic imagery, he had few peers. I never knew the story of "Great Expectations" until tonight, and what a discovery. Dickens again creates a story bursting at the seams with human feeling and intrigue, set as always within the social conditions of Victorian England. Dramatic B&W photography, great acting (with a young Alec Guinness, among others). It was the best film I have seen in a while, top of the line in every aspect.

Well, that's all I have for tonight. I am gonna say my prayers and keep my best thoughts with me all night. May there be good news in the morning, Sweet Baby, and I will talk to you then, as soon as I am able. I don't know yet if we will be going to church, but I will write as soon as I have news and can get to the computer.

I Love You. xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment