Thursday, January 14, 2016

New Keys! (and Film & Aliso)

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I like your new Yamaha! I was just reading some reviews of the C4 and it sounds awesome. You look super happy in the pic, and I am so glad you got it, and you are gonna love it! (Soulmate, eh?....)  :)

I hope you will continue to make your own videos (and I am sure you will) and write your own music even as you continue your work for other bands and clients. It's fantastic that you've been able to reinvest in your artistry and get both the new Sony camera and now the new keyboard. Hooray, I say!  :)

Today, I went up to Aliso Canyon while Pearl was at her Reseda Woman's Club meeting. This time I took my Pentax ME Super 35mm SLR, my film camera. I was inspired by your Boboli Gardens photo last week. I'll tell ya, it was good discipline to use the film cam again, which has had the same roll of b&w in it for two years now. Of course, for me it's kind of like riding a bike - you never forget how to do it - but still, when you go a couple years without shooting any film it re-disciplines you to set f-stops and shutter speeds, and most of all to focus. There is something great about seeing the image in the viewfinder, filling your eye. And you choose your shots very carefully because you only have 20 to 36 of them on a roll, and more importantly, especially nowdays, you've gotta pay for them, and it's a tad expensive. I am gonna take my film to Hooper Camera this time, instead of using a One Hour Photo at the drug store like I did last time. Hooper is a pro's camera store and processing lab, in Chatsworth, and when I checked their website I was heartened to see that they still develop all kinds of old film stocks, like 120 and 2 1/4, and of course 35mm.

As I said the other day, I'll bet you that film will hang in there, like vinyl records. I am gonna set a goal this year to try and shoot more film. Not a whole lot, but maybe three or four rolls for the year. Just to see how I do. I love the look of film so much, even though I am used to the ease of digital now. And digital can be posted or printed immediately, shared immediately. And it produces incredibly sharp pictures. But still, film has a special look that cannot be digitally duplicated, so let the two formats coexist, I say.

An aside about Aliso Canyon - you may have heard by now about an ongoing disaster in our area, in Porter Ranch which is three miles north of Northridge. It's a natural gas leak, and the location is also called "Aliso Canyon" and so the situation on the news is either referred to as the "Aliso Canyon Leak" or the "Porter Ranch Leak", but I mention it just to say that, while it is no doubt a humongous pollution problem, it basically does not reach the Aliso Canyon park area, which is where I hike and is located about two miles from where the leak is. In the park, you can't smell any natural gas, and they would have closed it down it you could. They've already relocated thousands of people who live near the leak, which is close to the church where I go every 4th of July to watch fireworks. Hopefully they will get it under control soon. They call it on the news the "worst natural disaster since the BP oil spill", and maybe it is, but it is not affecting people in anything close to the same way, and where I live (and in Aliso Canyon park), you don't notice it at all.

So that's all I know for today. I did see a few of your posts, including a couch-cushion fight between James and a friend. You must tell him that it's a good start, but at some point, lol, he's gonna have to graduate to full Rock Star Recklessness and start throwing TV sets out of hotel windows, ala Keith Moon. That was the kind of thing they used to do in the 70s, and somebody needs to resurrect it. I nominate James for the job.

Your friend Sarah is a character, too, but it seems she'd be too busy making Shrinky Dinks into the wee hours to engage in any TV Tossing........  :)

Enjoy your new keyboard, Sweet Baby! I Love You and will see you in the morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment