Saturday, January 23, 2016

Iron Maiden, Lush, Concert Photos, etc.

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I am writing from home as I begin my time off. It will be just a short break this time, so I don't anticipate doing a lot - mostly just relaxing - but tonight Grimsley came over and hung out for a while. He wanted me to hear some of the new Iron Maiden album, since he is a humongous fan of theirs. I was once a pretty big fan as well, back in the 80s, and I like what he played me (we listened in his car because I can't blast metal in The Tiny Apartment). Grim listens mostly to hard rock and metal and wants to know why I haven't kept up with Maiden, and I tell him "there's always a reason". In this case it was because Bruce Dickinson left and they got another singer back in the late 80s. So I stopped paying attention. Just like when Fast Eddie and then Philthy Animal Taylor both left Motorhead. I was of the opinion that Motorhead was a band, and not just all about Lemmy. So when those guys left, I stopped following Motorhead. And when Dickinson left Iron Maiden, I stopped following them, because he was irreplaceable.

I try to tell Grim that I like a lot of different kinds of music, including pop and progressive. I tell him that half of what I listen to nowdays is classical. But all he listens to is metal, and I was only like that for a few years in the early 80s. But I did like what he played me from the new Maiden album. Dickinson has been back for a while now, and his vocals are positively heroic. I called it "Braveheart Rock". And of course I will be going to see Iron Maiden on April 15th, my first IM show since 1988..........

I tried to get a ticket this morning for Lush at The Roxy, a club on the Sunset Strip. Lush was at the forefront of the Shoegaze movement in the early 90s, and I love their music. But the show sold out so fast that I was out of luck. I was logged on to Ticketfly at 9am sharp, and literally 30 seconds later it said "no tickets available". So on the one hand I am bummed that I didn't get a ticket, but on the other hand I am glad I won't be sardine-canned into The Roxy with fanatical fans who haven't seen their band in 20 years (it's a reunion tour).

But I'm still hoping they add another show, so I can go......

I saw a post from you today from a guy named Cody Ash who is gonna be playing drums with a band on an upcoming multi-band tour, and I am hoping you are gonna be part of it. Is his band a new client? I will keep my fingers crossed, but I already know that things are gonna be taking off this year, just like they did last year. Once concert season is in full swing, you will be shooting lots of bands at many shows. Your photo from this morning was another good one, and it once again captured the "in the moment" feel because of James' position on stage and the crowd response to him. You also have excellent framing in the top half of the shot with the colored lights forming a pattern in the middle and the white lighting on either side.

To shoot from that angle is interesting because it captures performer, audience and venue, all at once.

You are probably (or certainly) itching to shoot more concerts asap, and you are going to. Once the year gets rolling, it is gonna happen, and you will be making videos too. For all I know you may have projects and clients lined up already.  :)

That was all I was able to see on FB today, but I was glad to see it. Tomorrow I will mostly be just hanging around, not gonna do too much because I want to relax, so post if you get the chance. I'll be sleeping in a bit, but should be up and around by about 10am or so. See you then, Sweet Baby.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment