Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I Don't Know Jack About Tech (and I don't like it either) :)

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I am having trouble with the Internet connection here at Pearl's. Yesterday when I came back to work, my Chromebook was running slow, with the little buffering wheels turning and turning before a website would load. Usually Chrome is lightning fast. Then after that, pages would load with missing graphics, half-loaded pages, etc. And finally, some pages simply would not load at all and I'd get a "file not found" message.

The connection here is a DSL, and of course I don't know what that means except that it runs through the phone line. Now, they had just this past weekend plugged a new landline phone into the jack in the kitchen, where the DSL line is also plugged in. I thought the new phone might have something to do with it, because with the old phone (your basic receiver/charger/voicemail setup) my Chromebook always ran just fine. Then suddenly - new phone, bad Internet connection. I checked all the cords on my Chromebook and all were plugged in properly. Then, when a website came back "file not found", I clicked on "diagnose error", and it ran some diagnostics on my computer and then came back saying "dns failed". There were other things listed, "closed portal" or some such, firewall, and some other stuff. All of those things were running, except the DNS.

Now of course you know I would have no idea what a DNS is, so I Googled it, and it seems it's some kind of lookup system for the computer to find any given website. So if my DNS failed, it would explain all the endless buffering and half-loaded pages.

(I have to interject here to say "Good Lordy Moses do I hate all this tech stuff".)

I hate it because why don't they just speak English, y'know? Why all the jargon? I haven't the patience for this baloney.  ;)

Anyhow, now that my interjection is over, I followed some Googled suggestions to fix my DNS, and I am not sure they worked very well. It involved "reconfiguring" some settings and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't have the time or patience for. So the moral of the story is that probably, at some point, I am gonna hafta get on the phone with ATT and try to figure out what is wrong. I've had to do that before, and have actually managed to fix some complex stuff by following their directions.

I always say, "just tell me what keys to punch, and in what order, and I can fix it". It's just the jargon I can't stand, lol.

All this is to say that I hope the Internet connection improves here at Pearl's, and doesn't get worse, because right now I am maxed out timewise, and I don't have time to fix stuff, and I need my Internet connection to maintain contact with the outside world and with You of course.

It is a little difficult right now because of what is going on with Kobi. He doesn't rest or relax but just wanders. He is on his feet most of the day, just moving from here to there aimlessly. He does okay in some respects, like when he is outside. I took him on a catwalk this evening and he was almost normal. But in the house it is just non-stop wandering, until he finally collapses into sleep, which will happen sometime in the middle of the night. He's got a cerebral problem, but I think it's also the medications and I am hoping they can lower the dosage. He doesn't seem like he's gonna have another seizure.

Anyhow, sorry for all the complaining. I hope your day was good. I only saw one post, which was the Great Cheese Robbery.  :)

Now that was funny, and I was thinking that in Wisconsin, such a crime has gotta be punishable by life in prison, at least. Maybe worse. And if not, it should be! $160,000 dollars worth of cheese? That's like robbing a bank.

Except it's cheese. And we in California have a Cheese Thing going, too, with a slogan - "real California cheese"!..... (although authentic Cheeseheads have probably not heard of it).

Well, Sweet Baby, that's all I know for today. I will still hope for a hike and more pictures soon. Just gotta get the Kobester settled down, to whatever degree is possible.

The second "X-Files" episode tonight was another home run for Chris Carter and crew. That is some big league television writing right there. I'm looking forward to the remaining four episodes, but it ain't gonna be enough......  :)

See you in the morning, Sweet Baby. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment