Friday, January 29, 2016

Tarkovsky at CSUN + Kobester Report

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Tonight was the start of the Spring semester Cinematheque at CSUN. We are doing a Tarkovsky retrospective this time, and as I've probably mentioned, he is one of my favorite directors. He only lived to age 54 and consequently made just seven films, but they are all excellent and filled with striking imagery. Tarkovsky was one of the all time composers of film - his slow, steady camera movement, placement of actors within the frame and use of nature (rain, fire, wind over grassy fields, roots in earth) gave his movies a dreamlike and poetic quality, which he was known for. Tarkovsky films are very slow to build, and you have to have patience with them, but once you are able to do that, you find yourself watching them again and again. I have almost all his movies on dvd (just need "Solaris"). For our first screening, we saw a documentary about Tarkovsky called "One Day In The Life Of Andrei Arsenovich" (including footage of him in the hospital in his last days, still editing "The Sacrifice", his final film), and we also saw two of his student films, "The Killers" and "The Steamroller And The Violin". Because he only made seven films, and because our retrospectives are 15 weeks long, the professor will be filling up the remaining weeks with films by directors who have been influenced by Tarkovsky, including Terrence Malick and Bela Tarr. There is no one like the original, however.

Your photo from this morning was excellent as always. The wind must have been blowing (or you could have used a fan perhaps), but you utilised the model's hair to great effect, textured against her black blouse and contrasted by the lighter tone of her face. As often in your modeling photos, the eyes stand out and are the focal point for the viewer. You have a touch for this type of photography, call it modeling or fashion or portraiture. You are very good at makeup and highlighting a model's features as well.

I am itching to take some pics myself, and maybe in the next day or two. I mean, I probably shouldn't speculate on it, given the fact that things have been in flux lately - and very busy workwise - but sooner or later (and hopefuly sooner!) I will get back to some semblance of my former hiking schedule. In Kobedog news, he seems to be doing just a tiny bit better, each day. This evening, he was barking up a storm at dinnertime (our dinnertime, don't forget), and his feet came off the ground again and again.

He seems to have some of his marbles back, and he isn't wandering near as much as he was when he first got back from the vet. His gait is still pretty tentative, and he sleeps more deeply than ever before, but he's regaining some of the old Kobular Strength, a good sign I think.

On my CSUN walk after the movie, I saw Momma Raccoon, standing in the gutter just out of the storm drain in which her family lives, across from the Orange Grove. She didn't run as I aproached, and I managed to get within about 5 feet of her, just to "say hey", very quietly. She had her Bandit Mask on. I wish I had had some chips with me or anything edible. I'd have made a new friend.  :)  ........

Well, that's all for tonight, my Darling. I will see you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment