Thursday, August 15, 2013

An Interesting Photograph (Russia added) (You Rule And I Love You added)

Good evening, my Darling! I'm waiting on my walk once again, it's still a bit warm out at the moment. I was interested in the photo you posted this afternoon, not only because I love seemingly abstract or out-of-the-norm photography like that, but also because it reminds me of the scenes I saw and photographed myself, inside the Northridge Meadows apartments after the earthquake. In your posted photo, the house could have been just left to run down or even abandoned, but there are signs similar to a natural disaster such as the missing and separated drywall, cracks in the wall, and - very similar to what I saw after the quake - the jumble of items on the floor. Here, it looks as if it may have been a result of pack-rat conditions, and I'm not sure why I say that, except possibly because of the items that are neatly arrayed on the shelves to the left. That small bit of order would seem to preclude the violent force of a natural disaster, but even in my guessing about it, we can see something interesting about the photo - in it's very unusual subject matter alone, it tells a mysterious story, one in which the viewer is left to interpret the details for himself.

Who lived there? What happened to their house? Do they still live there? Etc., etc.

I absolutely love that kind of thing, and also that there is incongruity in the picture, disorder and tidiness, sadness and optimism (in the form of the wooden bird). So there is a lot going on in the frame, which is why one commenter stated that he could stare at it for hours.

It is kind of what I meant when I said a few weeks ago that I wanted to try for some random type shots, I want to say ala Henry Cartier-Bresson, though he isn't a perfect example. But in some of his street scenes, you'd just see a whole lot of random images, just as your eye would see if you looked out a window onto a busy street. I wanted to just capture anything (trees, buildings, people, cars, distant objects, signs, shadows, you name it), and I wanted to capture many different objects and goings-on in one photo, without regard to their relation to one another, but...........and here is what is important.......I wanted my random pictures to have good lines, good balance, good composition. Good photo-feng shui, as we were talking about a while back! :)

So that's why I love that photo you posted today. It has all of that. It's not purposely random perhaps, in the intent of the photographer, because he wanted to depict one thing (the chaos of the room) rather than a series of random objects chosen from an un-preplanned location. Yet he still captured that abstract quality, and the incongruities, and most of all the mystery of the story, and he did it all with the good lines/balance/composition that I am talking about.

That room is so reminiscent of The Meadows, the grimness and quietude of the place, that it is fascinating to me. Well, now I will go for my walk, but I will write more later on, at the usual time. Hope your day was awesome. I Love You! :):)

(back in a while......)

10:40pm : Russia, eh? That's fine with me! Funny, too (funny meaning cool, not "haha"), because I have long had Russia high on my list of Places To Visit. My Dad used to subscribe to a magazine called Soviet Life, back in the communist days (and in those days I was a commie, too, lol), and somewhere along the way, I developed a soft spot for the Russian people, their history and land. It's one reason why I love Russian movies so much. I always thought Russians, or at least their culture, had a lot of soul. So, where in Russia? Moscow? St.Petersburg? If we went there, we could see L'Ermitage. If you ever wanna see a neat movie, watch "Russian Ark", which is a camera-eye tour of L'Ermitage, all shot in a single take! In it, the museum comes to life throughout it's history, with costumed actors and dancers playing visitors and artists through the ages. Russia is humongous, so pick your city or territory, and we will go! And if you wanna go there first, we shall.
(back in a minute, I just wanted to post this right away.....)

11:05pm : Whether you meant Russia specifically, or simply "passport" in the broader sense, we are going, my Angel. I've never been too far from L.A. in my life (San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, and in between), so it will be a mindblower for me. That's on the International side of things. We can also have neat little road trips, smaller but still fascinating, that can be just for exploration purposes. I did see that the photographer you posted earlier was taking pictures in a ghost town in Chicago. And, I had mentioned a while back that it would be really neat to take a drive through the desert and photograph old abandoned places - you might find something out in the middle of nowhere, like the remnants of a foundation of a house, or an old mine shaft. But it could be anything. Me, I just happen to love decay, and the way it comes to life when untouched. I love the way silence and isolation can affect an environment.

One thing is for sure; awesome things are in the process of happening. Once you plant the seeds of intent, then that process is underway. It takes means, too, but that's why I have been saving money.

Then, once you choose your destination, and decide what you want to see and feel, what environment you seek, and you have the means to get there (which we do), all you've gotta do is go.

And we shall, you and I.

It will be an absolute blast, but it will also be an experience .

I can't wait, Elizabeth. I Love You and wish you Sweet Dreams. Wonderful times ahead!  :):) xoxoxoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment