Friday, August 30, 2013

Rooftops (more added)

Hey World!! I Love My Baby!! She is Awesome!!  (I had to shout it from the rooftops!).......  :)

Happy Friday Evening, my Darling, and Happy Labor Day Weekend. I am getting home a few minutes late, and it's a good thing I ate because you would have made me really hungry looking at those flags. I could pretty much eat any one of 'em, or all of 'em given enough time. Tonight though, Pearl had yet another birthday celebration, and a gentleman who used to live at her house brought over a large pizza with everything, so I had a few pieces.

You know I could live off pizza.......I told you that, right? (Yeah, I know....."join the club, Ad").

Also, our tomatoes are ripening. I told you we are growing tomatoes, didn't I? Well, several are turning red now, so I brought one home and will try it later tonight. Another thing I could live off of is spaghetti, and when we get enough tomatoes, I am gonna make some spaghetti sauce, just like I used to back in the late 80s/early 90s when we lived in our Rathburn Street house and I had my backyard garden. In Labor Days past, we would always have a barbeque, too, and I sure miss 'em, even though I don't eat much meat anymore. But - you can still grill fish, and all kinds of veggies too. It's the fun and camaraderie of the barbeque that I miss the most.

Between your food flags and the pizza, I've got food on the brain. So, I had better go for my walk! It was another 100+ degree day, but I guess I don't mind. And it's cooling now and turning purple/black. I have a cricket inside my apartment and he is driving me nuts. He is waaaay back in a cupboard, in some nook & cranny, and every time he hears me approach - or open the cupboard door - he stops cricketing. But then as soon as I go back to whatever I was doing, he starts up again. I will have to Google "life span of a cricket". Or maybe he'll get bored and move back outside.

I'll be back later to write some more. I hope you had an awesome day. I Love You!! (rooftops again).
:):)

(back in a little while)

10:50pm : You posted this morning about the Hmong language and the signification of tone, as represented by the final letter in a given word. That is fascinating, as you said, and for me it is fascinating because I am reading so much, in Farrell, about tone and oscillation in music, and I am reading about the writings of a musicologist named Ernest G. McClain, who taught at Northwestern and wrote some very important books on the history of music, and tonality, and why eventually twelve tones were "tempered" (artificially tuned) to represent and interact with the twelve houses of the Zodiac. It's really interesting, the relationship between oscillation and tone, and just now I find myself having to look up the difference between oscillation and vibration. In music, it is all very mathematical - at least for the musical theorists - and in the writings of Farrell (especially in "Grid Of The Gods") he ties it in to the Mesopotamian sexagesimal counting system, and concepts like "male" and "female" tonalities in the diatonic musical scale

It's very complicated stuff, and probably more thrilling to people who are really into numerology (which I am sure is awesome), but being a Big Picture person, I am always interested in the "why" of things, and I wonder "why" the Mesopotamians would feel the need to tune (or "temper") stringed instruments to 12 harmonically compatible tones, just because they observed astronomical precession (the turning of the constellations) in the night sky.

I think there has got to be more to it than that. I wonder why the number 6 was arrived at, as a generator. And I wonder why musical instrument vibrations were harmonically tuned to the observed motion of constellations. There has got to be a reason besides the simplistic idea that each harmonic "represented" a Zodiacal house. No, when you look at the entirety of the evidence in the ancient world, in advanced civilizations, a great importance was placed on proper and exact vibrations , and the mathematics involved were merely a numerical representation of the sounds, a way to write them down and remember them. And there was a reason to remember the sounds. So there must have been a function .

Just as in language there was a reason we evolved from grunting. And the reason had to do with something much more than just efficiancy. Efficiancy was part of it - to make communication - and therefore tasks - much easier, but there was also a function to the development of language besides just making human survival/cooperation easier. 

And that function, I believe, had to do with the tonality of the language, for that is where the communication represents the emotion, just as the tones do in music.

Why did language develop? The real question is, did it develop? Did it develop, ever so gradually, or was some type of programming involved? Why did so many (we are talking hundreds) of languages develop on a single planet, which after all is not that large? And why the diversity in sounds, in tones, in oscillations? Why did the Mesopotamians, and later the Greeks, seek to mathematesize (I coined a word) tonality? And why did they coordinate that tonal mathematics to astronomy?

What is the common factor between musical tonality and lingual tonality?

I find all of these subjects fascinating because it blows my mind that they say ("they" being those who have studied such things) that human history, or at least the history of civilisation, is only -at most - 10, 000 years old.

I work with a lady who is eleven years shy of 100 years old, and if what scientists say is true, then human civilisation is only - only! - approximately 100 times her life span.

That's pretty much the blink of an eye.

And yet we are still learning about things like music, and what it really is, (besides just pleasure) and language, and what it really is (besides just cooperation). Both have some physical, oscillating and/or vibrating connection with the heavens that acts as a physical function of creation, and this dates back to the most ancient of the known civilisations, the Vedics of India.

Your post about the Hmong got me thinking about it, because theirs is a very ancient language, and like many Asian languages, the tonality is the main variant.

It all comes back to sound, and the reason for sound, and that sound is a reception of vibration, which connects us to something beyond the physical.

That's all I know for tonight, but I love these subjects!

And........I Love You Too, my Darling. I wish you Sweet Dreams, and Continuing Inspiration.

What an incredible week this has been!  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment